or Connect

Posts by momaste

Yes, that's it! Thank you so much!
My kids share a bedroom and we're looking at putting in bunk beds to save space and give them some floor area to play.   A few years back, I remember seeing recommended a company that does bunk and trundle beds that are adjustable, so you could start them on a low level and make them taller as the kid grows. They had lots of options for things like drawers, shelves, you could make it a short loft or tall loft, and there was a way to add a fort underneath,...
My husband recently took up the expensive sport of golf, and is funding it exclusively through reselling Goodwill finds. He found a set of Callaway golf clubs for $80 including the bag and resold it for $500!! He's found all kinds of good stuff to resell, but has taken golf stuff to be his baby and knows what will sell for the big bucks and what isn't worth taking home. It's been quite a good way for him to afford his hobby that would otherwise be too pricy. He came...
I do them in the pressure cooker, no soaking start to finish in under an hour. I have an electric pressure cooker that is very energy efficient and super easy. I dump in ingredients, press start, and come back when it beeps. Voila, beans! We don't have the gas issues of unsoaked beans for whatever reason, but you could easily soak them first. We eat lots of beans, and I prefer the taste of home cooked dry beans over canned, which often feel too mushy for me.
I've had very good luck buying lots off of Craigslist. My son, now 3, has basically been clothed for free. My daughter is an infant, but I have a full wardrobe for her through 18 months off of Craigslist, again basically for free. I buy lots for under $1 per piece for a full box/bag, take what I like out of them, and resell what I don't like. I also resell what DS has outgrown. (DD hasn't outgrown anything yet!) Some of the new pieces will sell for what I bought the lot...
DS is going to be a road. Black sweat pants (he already owns), electrical tape for a road divider, and Hot Wheels (he already owns) velcroed on. Halloween for the cost of electrical tape. DD is just a few months old and I have a pumpkin costume for her that I bought on clearance for less than $5.
Watch Craigslist for people selling their sets of trains. They're frequently sold in lots on Craigslist here for a reasonable amount. Learning Curve, the website that sells Thomas the Train, occasionally has sales/promo codes that can be used on clearance items - I bought my son a mountain overpass set with a ton of tracks, 4 trains, and some characters/scenery on clearance and with a coupon code, a quarter of its original price. IKEA sets are interchangeable with...
I got an Epicurean cutting board for my birthday and have been impressed. Quote: Epicurean makes its cutting boards in the USA of Richlite, a natural compressed wood-fiber laminate made from sustainably harvested trees. Many contemporary kitchens today feature entire countertops made from Richlite. The multi-functional surface won't dull knives, stain, or retain odors; resists bacteria growth; is heat-resistant to 350 degrees F, which means hot pans can be...
Thanks, everyone, for your opinions on this. I've got an early morning so I'll be back to comment later, but I wanted to thank you guys for weighing in! Keep it coming!
Last week I made a fantastic bean dish. I sauteed onion, a few carrots, and garlic in a little olive oil, then added 2 c. soaked beans (I used Desert Pebble, but this would work really well with Pinto or White beans), 8 c. vegetable stock, thyme, oregano, ground pepper, and about 2 T apple cider vinegar, a splash of Tabasco and a splash of Worcestershire sauce (veg versions are available.) I simmered it for about an hour, then added a head of chopped turnip greens and 2 c....