or Connect

Posts by padomi

I'm signing off - for good this time. And I never reached 1000 posts I've been thinking about this for some time, and tonight I finally decided. MDC is just not a healthy place for me to be anymore. Night after night I read ugliness between people that I don't witness anywhere else in my life. I just get too upset every night reading nastiness between what no one seems to understand are human beings on the other end of the computers. I know it's been said before, but...
First of all Chalupamom, if your posts were worded "carefully" as you stated, then I'd hate to be on the receiving end of one of your not-worded-so-carefully posts. And yes, I guess my "ovaries are busted" and my "panties are twisted" (worded carefully? Are we adults here?) since this was personal - it's about MY family. It was a light conversation about the possibility of there being a shaman in the bloodline b/c I (and Journey) have Cherokee blood. And sorry that I...
Quote: If what we have here are people with, say, 1/32nd "Cherokee blood" or whatever I think we need to rethink what we're talking about. And Chalupamom - just wondering - why DOES it matter? What fraction of heritage are you comfortable with people claiming heritage? Can I claim my German heritage if my grandmother was German? Or is that not okay? Or is my very existence politically incorrect because my dad's grandfather fell in love with and...
Quote: When people on this thread are saying they are Cherokee on this, that, or the other side, what are we talking about? Well, if you must know, my dad's grandmother was 100% cherokee. Why does it matter? Where I am originally from (appalachia) there are A LOT of people with Cherokee blood. But I happen to know my story because I spent years researching and writing about my family tree.
Quote: I know that there are plenty of people out there who have incomes that are similar to or even less than ours who don't seem to struggle as much as we do. There might be fewer than you think. I think people tend to not talk about their money woes, so while things may look okay from outside, it might be a different story...you never know what goes on behind closed doors.
Quote: It runs along the maternal line very strongly. We are Cherokee/Blackfoot along our maternal line. I wonder what the connection is there. I wonder if there were shamans in our family tree. It seems like it. Oh my gosh Journey, I just went back and read the pp's more carefully - it doesn't run along my maternal line - well, it did run along my dad's maternal line, until me - it came to me through my dad. BUT - here's the thing - WE ARE CHEROKEE...
Quote: Anyone else KWIM??? Oh yes, I know what you mean. Me, too. My whole life...well my first memory of it was at age 5. A few years ago I was talking to my aunt (dad's sister) about it and she told me that it runs in my family - my dad's mother had it and her mother had it. This was amazing to hear - I had no idea. It apparently skipped a generation and came to me. I've always liked it but been a little freaked out about it at times. I was...
This is so funny - dd's first and middle name is Millicent Charlotte. Millicent was dh's grandmother and Charlotte is my grandmother. I originally wanted to name her Freya (after the goddess), dh wanted a more "English" name (he's english), so we took the grandmothers' names. We never told anyone at all about almost naming her Freya. Then a month ago, dh's best friend in England had a baby girl and named her Freya! What a coincidence!
The problem is my dh doesn't come to bed until the wee hours (a point of contention, errrrrrr) so he's IMPOSSIBLE to get out of bed. He will hit snooze a thousand times and meantime we'll WELL awake. Could somebody tell me what a sound machine is?
For your stay home, co-sleeping moms, how do you get your dh out of bed for work without waking up your little one(s)? Is it possible? As soon as dh's alarm goes off at 6:30, dd is awake, yet on weekends she'll sleep till 8:00 if nothing wakes her. We already have a very quiet alarm clock - it's actually birds singing instead of a buzzer but it still wakes dd up. Any advice?