or Connect

Posts by LauraLoo

Well, it's been a very long time since I've posted -- but it's been an interesting year.  The long story short is that, ds is doing just great  :)   We had a bit of a bumpy start, but academically and socially, he's done quite well, and has received a school award.....   Interestingly enough, even though he's doing well academically, he isn't liking school nearly as much as he did last year.  He only has one 15 min. recess per day, so the rest of his time at school...
We moved when my children were almost 6 and 3.  On the suggestion from another mdc mama, we made a little photo album for the place we were moving to - photos of key things - new home, landmarks, etc.  And a photo album with pictures of the place we were moving from - friends, home, bedroom, special/favorite places, etc.  It seemed to help ease the transition -- the unfamiliar became familiar, and the beloved was now preserved and not forgotten.  Just an idea. 
I think middle school is the perfect time to explore all sorts of options.  We had electives in middle school - band, choir, home economics and wood shop - and we had to choose 3 out of the 4 electives, each was a trimester.  I actually learned quite a bit in home ec, because my mom didn't sew.  Fast forward 15 years and I was decorating my apartment on a budget when I remembered that I could probably sew a lot of what I wanted and needed.  I bought a sewing machine,...
We are in a similar situation -- DS has been playing violin for 5 years, and had to choose between either band or choir this year for school.  He chose band.  And the sax.  At school orientation the band teachers made it abundantly clear that they were going to go very, very slowly because they knew that there would be kids without any music training.  At first the time commitment for practice will be 5 - 10 min./night.  By Nov. it will be 20 min./night.  I imagine that...
This was an unusual year for us since both dc's needed new lunch boxes and backpacks, so this puts us close to $100 altogether for just those things.  We typically get many years use out of these, and this is ds' first new backpack since K.     My dd's teacher purchased most of the needed supplies for her class, and just asked for a $3 donation, in addition to bringing a few pencils, a pencil box and a 1/2" binder (which we had from last year, so could re-use,) and...
ITA.  There have been quite a few studies that show that driving while sleep deprived - even mildly - is similar to driving while intoxicated.  Sluggish mind, sluggish response times.   Being sleep deprived isn't good on so many levels.    
  I was in college getting my hair cut, and my hair dresser quoted this to me.  This was 20 some years ago, and I've been thankful that he said this to me so many times.  I think that many people feel that their lives should be easy all the time, and that there's some magical way that this can happen,  but I don't know a single person that hasn't faced some sort of hardship or many hardships.  It's life!  I do believe that personal attitude about your life can make a big...
I love discussions about creativity!    I think it's helpful to realize that creativity presents itself in different ways.  At a very high level, there are two types of creativity - new inventions/discoveries that did not exist before and then there are improvements or innovations to existing structures/beliefs.   Creativity doesn't just show itself in traditional artistic endeavors, but can be a whole new way or different way of thinking and making associations.  There...
  My ds was a slow eater and never felt like he had enough time to finish his food (was worried that he wouldn't be ready to go out on the playground,) so would essentially just not bother and then would eat his lunch in the car ride after school.  I was concerned about this and mentioned it to his teacher.  She allowed ds to go to lunch 10 min. early with another boy (who likely had an IEP that allowed for this) and it worked out great.  Just an idea.    
Just wanted to thank everyone for their support and comments.  Unless something drastic happens in the next month, we are planning on having him move on to middle school with a fall back plan of homeschooling.  I've been able to set up a great support network - new psychologist (who is awesome!) and have secured the services of a tutor who really gets ds and can help him with school work by translating the requirements into a way that ds naturally learns.  I feel like...