or Connect

Posts by MeepyCat

It would not be out of line for you to make a comment to your aunt that the exact portioning thing that worked when the kids were younger is getting to be a problem, now that some of them are on sports teams and some aren't, and that they may be hitting growth spurts at different times.  Something like "A's been cranky a lot, and I think he might just be hungry.  He reminds me of how my friends in high school got touchy when they hit growth spurts.  I wonder if giving them...
She's controlling food for teenagers at that level, and you think that's lax? She isn't. She's focused incredible levels of control on a very specific area. You can't reparent, and you shouldn't undermine the parents, but as their older cousin who is in charge while their parents are out of town, I suspect you could buy a lot of affection by supplying chips and soda. If you want to avoid tantrums, avoid hunger. There are a few tacks I would take on the whole...
I agree the story is disturbing, but it is what the shot is for, and why it's given. Negative outcomes have a legitimate place in this conversation.
Me? No. I wouldn't. I weaned ds because I was finding nursing extremely unpleasant and I needed to restrict access to my breasts in order to be comfortable. With dd, it was her call (and happened earlier then I'd expected), but once it happened I appreciated the change.I'm not convinced there are cultures where families commonly nurse past 6 or 7.
Another thought, on chores -   Teaching a child to help around the house is an investment.  You accept some disasters, and do the real work yourself later, because you know you're teaching the kid a life skill.  It's hard with single children, but it's doable.  With triplets, though?  Complete chaos.  When you add three pre-schoolers or kindergartners to a chore like washing dishes, you get far more then three times the splashing you'd get with one.  So they've probably...
Any mammal can get rabies.  Rabid opossums are rare (and healthy opossums have defensive postures that look like symptoms of rabies to observers), but not impossible.
Both of my kids weaned before my milk dried up - DS kept wanting to nurse, but I was pregnant, and nursing was putting my teeth on edge.  DD self-weaned at 13 months.   I know that nursing has psychological as well as nutritional aspects, but it feels very invasive to me to "nurse" when there is no milk.  We have a wide variety of ways to express affection and meet a child's psychological needs.  I think it's important to a child's growth and independence that parents...
In some ways it seems like the expectations on these kids are stuck at second grade.  How is a fifteen year-old not old enough to decide on his or her own what to have for a snack?  An hour only of tv for fifteen year-olds who probably need internet to do their homework is completely unenforceable, and therefore a bad plan to have as a rule.  But the snacks/tv kind of rules for this age group, by virtue of the fact that they're so hard to enforce, actually encourage...
Those things won't reduce the risk of ticks or tick-borne disease in areas where ticks are endemic. The thing that will reduce that risk is bug repellent.
We've had one embedded tick. We removed it with tweezers, and washed with soap and water. We watched for symptoms, but the kiddo was fine, no antibiotics needed.