or Connect

Posts by MeepyCat

My kids pick up ticks on short-mowed playing field and playground areas at school a few times a year in the city.
I live in an inner city neighborhood, but we have an excellent park system.  I chose the kids' preschool because it's located in a city park (mostly playing fields, all grass with the occasional tree, no bushes or plantings), right next to a city-maintained playground.  The kids spend a lot of time outside during the summer months at pre-school, and our family frequently uses the recreational bike and walking trails through other parks near our home to get to playgrounds,...
Last time one of my kids picked up a tick, she has to have gotten it either on a city sidewalk, or from short-mowed park grass, far from the woods.  My mom is a doctor, specializing in infectious diseases and pediatrics.  She only asks one question when determining whether she has to consider the risk of tick-borne disease in a patient - "Have you been outside?"  So I'm deeply unconvinced that the action you're considering (changing schools and moving) will reduce the risk...
I do know people with lyme disease, and long-term issues from it.  That makes me pretty enthusiastic about bug repellant (sorry to harp).  It does not necessarily make me think that you're having a useful reaction to this concern.   The only issue you've expressed about Deet so far is distaste.  You don't like it.  Are you willing to reconsider that a little, given what you've recently learned about ticks and lyme disease?  Picaridin seems to be reasonably effective,...
Okay, snark free - How about bug repellant?
I spent almost all of this post wondering why not bug repellant.  Then you spent one sentence on bug repellant.  You don't like deet.  So you're considering uprooting your family, regardless of the stress and cost, rather then considering deet alternatives.  I sort of see why you're getting some scoffing there.   You have a problem that would be solved by bug repellant.  It will not be solved by moving twenty minutes away, unless you move into a hermetically sealed clean...
Her math has been fuzzy from the get go - 80% of $5K is $4,000, so she's getting more from the insurance then she would bill you directly.  AND she's keeping your deposit despite the fact that she has, as of that point, been paid in full and then some.  These are incredibly shady business practices.  (If I or my insurance overpays my doctor - and that's happened - they have to send the overpayment back.  They can't keep it.)   If insurance overpays you, you are NOT...
So, here's the problem (in my experience) with explaining to people what you know:  It always has holes.  Explanations are tricky.  It's sometimes better not to give them.   You absolutely have the right to refuse the Vitamin K shot.  You are the parent, you are the person on the line for doing what is best for your child, and no one should ask you to substitute their judgment for yours.    The waiver you've written here contains a lot of info straight from Robbie...
Do you have any sense of what the hospital policies are at the hospital you're using?  Some things may simply not be changeable.  Some things may be totally standard.  I think you might get a lot of reassurance, and very valuable information, from taking the L&D tour if you haven't already. You want reasonable things.  I think your preamble is a problem.  1.  "Parental" is probably a better word then "paternal".  Paternal is just fathers.  Parental is both of you.2.  It is...
How many of these are you planning to give to the staff? How many do you expect them to read?  BEcause this does start to be an issue - if you come in with 20 pages of research and reasoning, does anyone on shift actually have time to review them?  Or do they get shoved into a file labeled "birth plan" and never looked at?   If you present doctors around here with a giant sheaf of previously unknown patient information, they are not going to have time to read it.  Or...