or Connect

Posts by MeepyCat

Many good thoughts for your friend's son, and your friend. I'm a breast cancer survivor, and had chemo in 2012. My experience was that wonderful people who loved me brought my family the healthiest imaginable food... and I couldn't eat it. I am not joking when I say that too much broccoli could have landed me in the ER. Chemo does awful things to the digestive tract. They are largely temporary things, but they're a very real concern. The healthiest diet for a chemo...
Are there MFMs who take your insurance who work at the hospital across the street from you?  If so, can you switch to one?  If not, it may be because that hospital has insufficient resources to deal with high risk pregnancies, and they'd have to transfer you if you showed up in labor.  (EMTALA forbids them from turning you away.  They are explicitly allowed to transport you, at their cost, to a more appropriate facility, based on their judgment of what is...
That is the best possible news! I'm so glad. Those sound like sensible policies and good plans.
Is there a particular clinical concern that leads to the NICU time, or is it just because you're on anti-depressants? Our NICU stay was quite long, because of prematurity, and my experience was that the NICU was a machine for causing PPD. There were good reasons for my baby to be there, but it sucks. If the NICU admission is entirely due to your medication, it's best to strategize pretty carefully about the meeting with the pediatrician, IMO. You want this...
I wouldn't love the suggestion. It was not something I was able to do with either kid, for ordinary life reasons that make me question the practicality of the advice. And it leaves a bad taste with me that they want this rest to preclude you from establishing standard care for the baby with a pediatrician. IMO, the biggest reason for a newborn well visit is to establish your baby as a patient that it's possible to have phone consults and sick visits about. Otherwise, ...
The kid in this case has already had a try at telling the kid who hit him that he wants to sit somewhere else. It doesn't seem to have had the desired effect.I love it when my kids feel empowered, and I don't remotely think that's achieved by telling them that they're responsible for things other people do to them. That's victim-blaming BS. If a kid comes to me for help, I empower them by listening carefully, taking them seriously, and discussing alternatives. I love...
I would absolutely tell my own kid to sit with someone else on the bus. I'm not going around telling my kids they're powerless. But it's ALSO cruel to pretend that kids have total control over school related situations. Asking a grown-up for help is one way a kid can seek control, and sourcing help is an important skill. I have this memory of the school bus that seems to be pretty common. On the morning bus in, someone, let's call her Jenny, was mean to me. I didn't...
Even if the boys are usually friends, they can have problems negotiating physical play, and benefit from adult intervention. I would absolutely contact tye teacher and the principal, and explain the situation. Because of issues like this, many school districts try to have adult monitors on each bus. I find Linda's suggestion really problematic here. Yes, it would be great if the OP's son chose to simply avoid the other boy, but I remember how hard it is to avoid...
Marina, the issue I've noticed in the estrangement in my family is that one side persists in the belief that the estrangement is mysterious and inexplicable, while the other believes that the reasons have been clearly explained many times. I can't say who is right. I wasn't there. But if I thought I had explained my decision clearly, and was protecting myself and my family from manipulation or abuse, I would not walk out of my house to explain myself again. IME, it's...
If one of my kids had had a sever vaccine reaction, I would have to seriously consider not vaxing the others, but that's because I don't think those reactions are luck of the draw - there are genetic factors at work. I'm pro vax, and mostly get the recommended shots on schedule. However, we have occasionally delayed some shots (mostly because of medical issues in the household). The point is to keep all of us healthy, and the standard vax schedule is usually fine for...