or Connect

Posts by Hannahsmummy

Like zoebird says, I think it's really dependent on not only the school but even the individual teacher and the class itself. My daughter is in class one and has been self taught at reading for a couple of years now. She has also known the letters and sounds and writing since she was about 2.5. However, she hasn't been bored at school as there is a depth to officially learning these things that she appreciates and she enjoys the practice. Saying that our class one...
Sorry, I am just a bit confused by the question. Are you asking how a Waldorf school would feel/deal with a child entering first grade there who has reading skills?
We use wire pet brushes. They come in a variety of sizes and you can get the ones that are rectangular, just like a carder. We use them at home and they have them in our school along with proper carders.
I'd agree that it's really probably a child/family thing rather than a Waldorf thing. I have a 6.5 year old class one Waldorf child, she's been in Waldorf since she was 3. She is intellectually and artistically gifted and has real problems relating to other children and would much prefer to be with adults or kids in the older grades and she is really not sure what to do around very young kids. Most of her friends are in the older grades in fact. At the same time she...
My daughter is in class one and the day for them is pretty much the same as for class 2. Bear in mind though that I am not in North America so it may be different there. My daughters day begins at 9am when the class starts with morning verse and a bit of movemnet to get them settled. The first part of the day is then taken up by main lesson. This week they are working on numbers. In the past they have done letters, reading and writing. Main lesson goes until...
Quote: Originally Posted by boatbaby Hannahsmummy -- if you hadn't of offered to bring Hanukkah to the class, would they have done it on their own? And if not, why not? Does the school do any non-Christian celebrations? No, it wouldn't have been a part of the class had I not initiated it. It wouldn't have been due to not wanting to do it, it just wouldn't cross anyone's mind. As far as I know, there is only one other jewish child in...
Quote: Originally Posted by canndw For the other poster: nonprofit organizations like waldorf schools have a legally required "board of directors" or "board of trustees" who retain responsibility for the organization's overall operation. By "responsibility", I mean the board members can be held legally and civilly accountable over issues related to the school. Waldorf school board members should ensure their schools carry "officer and director...
What do you mean by the board? We have a governance team, school management team and college. The governance team is made up of parents and people who are outside the school otherwise. They are the finance team, building team and responsible for over seeing hiring and all of the admin stuff. The school management team is responsible for the day to day stuff and is there for the school support teams and brings info/problems about the school support teams to the...
Quote: Originally Posted by DimitraDaisy I am not an early years teacher, so do take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I think the methods described above might work most of the time, with most children, but they definitely don't work all of the time. While I am not 100% sure, it is my impression that in our Kingergarten, a child who is misbehaving is likely to be asked to come and work next to / with a teacher. There have been instances where this...
When I first read the email response I felt like it was a bit over the top though I agree with the sentiment in general. However, looking back at your email to the teacher I suspect that her response was based on the fact that you said "it's a bit creepy". Cold weather does not in any way kill off lice. http://www.tchd.org/pdfs/lice.pdf I assume the comment was also made to say that it's the judgement call about lice which is unwanted rather than the non biased...