or Connect

Posts by bonamarq

Thank you everyone for your replies - more stories still welcome? Seems no matter what the topic most of  the mamas here can be counted on to give spot on advice!
Thanks for all that great feed back! I will certainly include my disccusion about the challenges from within the family itself! And the compassion around that judgement you get from others - I find it really infuriating that as a society - we are so quick to blame parents for any and all behavior challenges - we blame the kid for acadmemic problems - and chalk it up to just good luck for those who do really well!   I am hoping some first hand experiences...
Hello Everyone - full disclosure - I my self do not have a special needs child per se (anxiety/sensory issues etc) I am a special ed teacher by training, work with families and teachers of those with autism and am planning a training for early child care providers on how to help identify kids early and get parents to follow through with an evaluation.   I would like your stories, good and bad - about learning your child's diagnosis - I imagine here on this forum...
My 9yo still needs this - I have let her know that I enjoy it but want her to be able to sleep "on her own " at certain times - if she needs to sleep over grandma's (she's done that twice) and she LOVES to sleep over her best friend's house and have her over as well - but then she isn't sleeping alone, just not with me - and she needs to be able to fall asleep on her own as well sometimes   She is wrestling with the desire to 'do it on her own' mixed with the...
My dd has said many profound things, mostly to her dad and most of which I forgot to write down and although not so profound one of my favorite quotes   age 2 1/2 while hiking with her dad "I think I am going to pee in these charming woods!"
Gotta chime in!   I too still sleep with my 8 yo (9 in dec) Our bed time routines have not changed much since she was weaned! We read, then I lay down with her USUALLY until she is asleep - sometime I feel the need to take a bath (my major form of destressing/relaxation as well as hygeine) and she is okay with that - sometimes asking if/when I will be back? Or will have something I must do. But she knows that I actually do like this - I work FT and she is essentially...
Gotta chime in!   I too still sleep with my 8 yo (9 in dec) Our bed time routines have not changed much since she was weaned! We read, then I lay down with her USUALLY until she is asleep - sometime I feel the need to take a bath (my major form of destressing/relaxation as well as hygeine) and she is okay with that - sometimes asking if/when I will be back? Or will have something I must do. But she knows that I actually do like this - I work FT and she is essentially...
I think you should pat yourself on the back for being SANE - your child is FIVE - not 16 - She has a rich, FULL life that sounds wonderful and very balanced - kindergarten is about learning social skills and routines - and some basic academics - ALL of elementary school is essentially just learning how to learn - and LIKING school is so important IMO   ALSO - the levels of anxiety and depression among teens these days is sky high - in part from all the pressure...
This can be a very difficult time - but remember (as a pp said) you can just go with 'developmental delay' and not get a specific diagnosis - with help she may catch up and exit EI services before she even turns three and that would be great! I have seen that happen to several children - speech therapy in particular can be so beneficial and help reduce frustration for both of you - if she qualifies than why not?   As for the reporting - that could be a state issue -...
Library mama - you are very tolerant, but you too might want to take a more direct approach - 7 is awfully old for this type of behavior and his mom should focus on teaching him more appropriate ways of interacting with his peers - sounds like he needs a social story -a strategy used with kids on the autism spectrum that gives social information and perspective - maybe this boy has NO idea how others see this behavior and if he did he might be willing to change it -...