or Connect

Posts by scsigrl

Why would you need gloves? That can change which ones are recommended.
 If you want official accommodations in the form of 504 or other plan, there needs to be a dx. I know there's no test for gluten sensitivity and the it isn't commonly believed in the medical community. I am fairly up to date on the research of all things gluten as my child has Celiac Disease.  I also know that for a 504 plan there must be a dx.  Some schools are willing to do more than others but you don't get a 504 without a dx.
 IF you want/need accommodations for a child in a US public school, you NEED a Dr's "slip" to confirm a dx. You're getting defensive for some reason.  You can do whatever you would like but the OP was specifically asking about school and a dx. Sure, anyone can send anything they want to school for kiddo to eat BUT if you expect the school to be on board with your kids dietary issues, there will need to be a dx.
I do want to say this, there isn't any such things as a gluten allergy.  There are allergies to wheat, rye, barley or other gluten containing grains but NOT gluten itself.    There is Celiac Disease which WILL NOT show up on an allergy test but needs to be dx with a Celiac Panel which is several blood tests run together when the person is EATING gluten for a prolonged time. Genetic markers are there BUT having them doesn't mean the person has Celiac disease, just the...
http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/tag/gluten-sensitivity   The last question mentions this kind of testing. It's very expensive and not accepted as diagnostic by most Dr's. 
I still haven't seen this documentation about the inaccuracy in littles. I'm trying to figure out if they just mean there may not be enough damage for a positive so they consider that inaccurate or what.   Yes your family Dr. can order the test IF you can convince them there is a reason to. Again, your list looks like it could be many many things or nothing but a fluke.  I would get your child back on gluten NOW if you are seriously considering testing. 5 days isn't...
Has your Dr explained to you that the test results nor past reactions are indicative of future reactions?  Is this a board certified allergist?  The information you are speaking of doesn't sound like anything I have heard but I'm not your childs Dr. so....
Silver,  many people with wheat allergies can not tolerate a shared fryer either. You must be lucky in that there hasn't been enough cross contamination in one or that her level of tolerance is pretty high.  I wouldn't want someone who deals with a wheat allergy to try a shared fryer or anything without talking in depth to their allergist. I would much rather my Celiac kid get "glutened" than consume one of his allergies. The ramifications of being glutened aren't life...
There are actually several blood test in a Celiac panel it's called.  I think an IgA, tTG and some others. There is also something called a DGP which is for more long term compliance.  THEN there is the genetic test.  Again that will only tell you if it's *possible* that you have/may acquire Celiac disease.  IF the panel is + they will usually suggest moving straight to the biopsy. I insisted on the genetic test for a variety of reasons.    So if the blood work is + and...
They won't typically do a biopsy without positive blood work.  Also while some people do experience a "false negative", Celiac needs an event to be triggered.  So someone may have the gene and has an event that triggers them to have Celiac.  If I test negative NOW but have an even in 3 months that turns the gene on then I get tested in a year it doesn't mean the test was wrong necessarily.