or Connect

Posts by GracesMama

I don't think kids need preschool for "socialization". All the activities you are doing are social. It's not like you're keeping him in the house all day away from other people. We have chosen not to send DD to preschool, and we're thinking about homeschooling. DD gets plenty of social time with our weekly playgroup, story time at the library, Music Together, her class at the Little Gym, etc.
Before I begin, please, please only gentle, constructive criticism. I'm having a tough time lately. So, DD is 3 and for the longest time, I've used the following discipline technique when trying to get her to do something: I say, "Grace, I need you to ______." If she doesn't do it, I say, "Grace I need you to _______. I'm going to count to 10 (or sing the ABCs) and if you haven't _______, I'm going to help you _______. Some examples include: getting in her...
We're in the midst of potty training, and I was reading in Dr. Sears' Baby Book that if your child really doesn't want to use the potty, and you think it's just plain stubborness, it may be a sign that she doesn't feel like she has control in other areas of her life, and this is her way of asserting control. I'm wondering if this is what's going on with 3 year old DD. How do I help her feel more in control of her life?
I agree, 3 is worse than 2. I ask DD not to do something, and she'll look at me defiantly and do it again. If I ask her to do something and she doesn't want to do it, she screams no. Sometimes she even throws stuff. I can use all the help I can get too.
We're having potty training issues too. DD is 3 and just recently she started asking for her poopy diapers to be changed. She still had no interest in using the potty, so we "ran out" of diapers the other day. She wasn't too pleased, but we just finished day 3 of wearing panties (and pull ups at night) and we're making a little progress. She hates sitting on the potty too. She has such bladder control, that yesterday she held her pee from 3:30 - 9:00 when we put...
DD is only 3, but I've been thinking about homeschooling a lot lately. I can't imagine how I'm going to make that transition from being mommy to teacher. I'm afraid she's just going to say, "I don't want to do that Mommy. I want to play with ....." I don't want it to turn into a power struggle. I guess what has brought up these concerns is our difficulties with potty training. It has been such a power struggle, and I worry that this experience is foreshadowing what's...
DD is 3. I'm hoping some of you more experienced mamas can help me. How do you potty train a child who just doesn't want to go on the potty? She has such control, that she can hold her urine for 4 -5 hours and wait for her nighttime diaper to be put on before going pee. We try sitting on the potty and she just won't go. I feel like if we don't push training a little, she'll still be in diapers at 4. Any suggestions????
Do you co-sleep? When my 3 year old wakes up at 5 and insists we get up, I tell her it's too early and she'll go back to sleep. I doubt she would do that if she had to sleep alone.
It's so hard when your child does the right thing and politely asks the other child to stop or whatever, and the other child doesn't listen. You can hardly blame your child for freaking out. What I've been doing with my 3 year old is encouraging her to use her words and if that doesn't work, to walk away and find something else to do. For example, the other day she asked her 4 year old buddy if he would let her play with a toy and he said no. She came to me for...
I can tell you my experiences. DD #1 was 2 1/2 when DD #2 was born. A few weeks before the baby was born, we changed our sleeping order to DD, DH, and me. If DD wanted to nurse, she climbed over daddy, nursed, and usually fell asleep there. Once the baby was born, we kept the order the same with the baby between me and the wall. For the first 4 months, DD #1 would go to bed first, as usual, and I would keep the baby with me until I was ready to go to sleep. She would...