or Connect

Posts by doublewhammy

I'm glad this thread has been revived. I'm been very busy the last couple of months. My father-in-law died, and I went to Georgia to help settle his estate. I'm back in Montana now, after driving a U Haul across the country (alone!). Strange as it might sound, the return to my "ordinary" life has been pretty unsettling. I'll write more when I can.
Hi. How's everybody doing? I'm OK, just stressing out a little about a long string of visitors headed my way, including my father. He's one of the sources of my childhood trauma, so needless to say, seeing him pushes buttons for me. The nightmares are in full force. During the day, I'm doing my best to not think about it. Can't wait until this is over. But I don't want to wish summer away--it's so short here in Montana, anyway. Of course, since I don't trust him,...
papa de angel: I googled dissociation after your last post. I guess I don't tend to dissociate very often. I have had a sort of "out of body" sensation every now and then. I'll feel like I'm watching myself from above, or speaking lines that were written for me. That only happens when things are extremely intense. I had a penchant for reenactment when I was younger, and would put myself in very dangerous situations. That's when I usually got that feeling, though it...
MittensKittens--I don't know a lot about medications for PTSD. I think antidepressants are pretty common. That's what I was offered last fall, when I came very close to hospitalization. I don't know if they help with anger. I do know that some are considered safe for breastfeeding. Zoloft and Prozac come to mind. How safe are they, really? I don't know. I didn't want to take antidepressants, because I want to feel--just maybe not as intensely as I do sometimes. As...
Papa de Angel: Can you describe your DW's state? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by dissociation. Is she distant? Or is she reacting in ways that go beyond what's happening at the moment? I'm with MittensKittens, ask her what she would prefer, at a time when things are going smoothly. I know I can get pretty unreachable, but I'm not usually just "spacing out"--it's more like freaking out. And when I get like that, nobody can reason with me. I read somewhere...
Hi. I don't have any advice about working with a partner with PTSD. But I think it's wonderful that you're open to it. My DH is unsupportive, and it makes it a lot harder for me than I think it would be if he would try to understand a little about what's going on with me. There are some good books out there about trauma--maybe reading some of those would help. MittensKittens--the surgery went very well. I felt calm and strong--I kind of go into a zone when there's...
Hi, how's everybody doing? I've been pretty stressed out lately (what else is new). My daughter's having surgery tomorrow. I tried to join the PTSD support group here in town, but it's "closed." I have to admit, having a mental heath professional turn me down for a free group didn't feel too good. I'm working hard not to take it personally. I really do need help, but I'll have to look elsewhere. My daughter's surgery will cost between 3 and 4 thousand dollars by...
Hi, MittensKittens. It sounds like what you're going through is pretty intense. I can't imagine having to prove one of my children is mine. Why is CPS involved? Is it just that they see UC as bad? I know I felt strange reporting my daughter's homebirth, and it was assisted. Still, folks looked at me kind of funny. St. John's wort is for depression. In general, my moods feel pretty out of control, and anger is probably my biggest issue. But over the winter this...
I was going to say something along those lines. Complex PTSD and Borderline have a lot in common. I'm wondering how many of the people posting here experienced childhood trauma. I know I did. And the therapists I've seen addressed that fact, without giving me a specific diagnosis (though the last one was giving me stuff to read about complex PTSD). I can't understand why Borderline has such a bad reputation, if that makes any sense. If people (especially women)...
Hi. Sorry I keep disappearing, things have been really tough around here. My husband has gone back to work--he's a contractor, and didn't have any work over the winter. So I'm here with the twins all day and I'm having a really hard time handling the stress of being alone with two three year olds (and sometimes their sister). I'm realizing that I really need to get help--I'm not doing anybody any favors in the shape I'm in. But we can't pay the bills as it is--how am...