or Connect

Posts by captain optimism

Oh, I was going to scan pages in order, because of the thickness of the book. I'm hoping he can use it in public school for enrichment. It would be nice if he didn't have to carry the huge book back and forth. I could be wrong about this.   I don't have a plan for him to skip around the book. I also had the sense that the authors were building. My sense (since I know nothing about math!) is that they're using arithmetic problems that he can do already to illustrate new...
One thing I think would help him stick with this book is if I can scan and print out the pages. I know that sounds like a very silly thing to say. I think being stuck for a long time in the beginning of the book will be disheartening. Each section is the right length, though. You're right about mastery, Miranda. I think he can master every piece of this, but it will be less daunting if he's only working on one thing at a time.    This is the balance between adequate...
I don't know yet whether it will be the answer, but I'm still very excited about this new math book. My son's after school mentor found it for us. It's this Prealgebra from The Art of Problem Solving, which I see now has a whole website. Ooh baby.   (Oh, what a weird thing it is to have a kid who likes math. I would never have imagined me saying "ooh baby" about pages and pages of difficult math problems before I had a kid.)   I think there are a few of us who have...
Congratulations! It's a new beginning for you and your kids, and it sounds like maybe for your ex, too. But mainly I'm happy for you! 
 I'm still attracted to my ex. He's a good looking guy. He's still the same annoying dude, still messing with my head on all the same issues of punctuality and responsibility. Oh, man, you can't even imagine how difficult it was going through a divorce with his passive aggressive routines. Yes, he has a new girlfriend, but she's long distance so he hasn't transferred his passive-aggressive bullsh*t to her.  You know what? I have a boyfriend now, finally, someone local who...
We are still cordial. I wouldn't say we are good friends, but we socialize with our old friends in groups and it goes OK.    The thing is, when the relationship breaks up, you get to see what he was really doing. You know, I think we don't give enough thought to how physical attraction overdetermines women's feelings toward their male partners. You think he's your best friend, but after he moves out and he's not all handsome and good-smelling in your space,  you're going...
My son also preferred the all-number questions at that age. It was sort of a problem at school, but on the plus side, it gave him something to do that was challenging. You know, translating what he knew about numbers and their relationships to the actual counting of things. He has been able to do it, though.  A couple of days ago he told me that he thinks people add numbers to activities to make them more enjoyable. 
Is it really a problem if the child learns math out of order? Does it make a difference if they understand arithmetic too easily? I don't this math is like ballet, where it can damage the foot if the child goes on pointe too early. Is it? We don't believe that their brains have a finite capacity for math, I don't think. Right? So far it's been my experience that my son can learn things in school even if he's mastered the concepts already.    For me, the big challenge is...
I want to be subscribed to this thread, because I also have a mathy kid who enjoys computation and who experiences leaps and lulls. I don't have much to add to the discussion, though. My son took a while to learn to read, so a lot of the math enrichment I did for him was reading Alice in Wonderland and The Number Devil to him. He also enjoyed the Blue Balliett trilogy that began with Chasing Vermeer, because it featured math puzzles. We also read a book about topology,...
Oh, what a tough age that is! Half the posts on the board are about kids that age. The other parents may not be available for play groups because they're drowning. It will get easier, within the next six months or so.  I'm sorry you're dealing with shift work and a demanding preschool age at the same time.