or Connect

Posts by captain optimism

Yes, you're right, the current system is not designed for all mothers to stay home with their children. It's designed for NO mothers to stay at home with their children beyond infancy. The question at the beginning of the thread was, should there be welfare that would allow mothers to stay at home with their children. I am almost positive that the reason it was phrased as it was, with no acknowledgment that the current system isn't designed this way, was in order to fan...
Instead of concentrating all our energies on blaming people for making bad choices, we need to offer them the possibility of making better ones. If you can't get fresh food where you live and if cooking is a huge time and expertise cost, you will get used to buying crappy processed food. If walking around and playing outside are dangerous, either because of traffic or because of crime, you won't do those things.    If you want moms to make excellent choices about when to...
  Actually, this is the key problem. Both urban and rural low-income families may live in so-called food deserts. These are areas with reduced access to fresh food.    These are the areas the USDA considers food deserts: http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-desert-locator/go-to-the-locator.aspx They figure out what counts as a food desert by whether the supermarkets are spaced far apart, so that people can't get to them.    In my area, which is crowded and urban,...
Private groups offering nutritional education to low-income clients often do so with government funding. I used to write the grant proposals for programs to help low-income parents. They had a GED program, a job-training course, short-term housing for homeless families, and a couple of social work programs to support young and low-income moms, and a really great young fathers program. (That was basically one incredibly charismatic guy who turned a lot of young men's...
Fine, whatever, the national policy is going to be that everyone over a certain level of income has to buy health insurance, that all insurers have to cover everyone, and that the government is going to, at least in theory, cover more people.  Anyone who doesn't buy health insurance who can afford it is going to have to pay a fine, and everyone who can't afford it is going to be eligible for more government health insurance.    This is an inelegant solution to a huge...
  In many states where there are a lot of income-eligible people, not everyone who could be is enrolled in the food stamp program. I knew this was true back when I was a grant writer, but it's still true. It means that a lot of families either go hungry or rely on other programs to subsidize their food costs.    The political right has criticized the current presidential administration for having too many people on food stamps. It's true that this is an indicator of an...
  That's not how I read what serenbat is saying, at all. You continue to give her credit for generous impulses when her words do not indicate any such thing. She has consistently complained that government at any level is providing any kind of aid for any low income parents, on the grounds that they are undeserving because they are asking for it and because other people in the society have to pay taxes to cover the cost. And it's a bad example for their children, who need...
Yes, true. All are means-tested programs to keep low-income children from being homeless and hungry and from dying of preventable diseases.    It's not that I don't get it. In fact, knowing what things were like before we had these programs, for example in the Great Depression, I think they are critical to our ability to grow as a society. Right now, our income level here determines our life expectancy. I do get it. I'm just repelled by this ideology of "I've got mine,...
  I think this is a reasonable response, though I disagree with it. The critical issue isn't your beliefs on this subject, or even your feelings, but whether you understand  that our current welfare policy is not designed to allow women to stay at home with their children. The previous program, AFDC, was explicitly for that purpose, but TANF is not.      In this country, I can see a few problems that create a constant need for monies to offset problems of...
  We HAVE  those limits and that means testing. We had welfare reform in 1996 that limits the amount of time people can receive TANF. TANF requires moms of relatively young children to work in order to get benefits. Go look this stuff up so that you have some kind of clue about how the policy actually works. The reason it's called TANF is that it stands for TEMPORARY aid for needy families. There was an earlier version of the program, AFDC, aid for families with dependent...