or Connect

Posts by junipermuse

Yesterday I bought about 8 lbs of ground beef at the supermarket (it was BOGO for the large value packs) and I was thinking of cooking it all up now and then freezing it in meal sized portions. Does anyone else do this? Also I know I've read about people cooking the meat in water and then draining it. Does this work well? Can I do it in the crockpot or should I do it on the stove? I liked the idea of this because then I could save the water for making stock next week...
Around here the cheapest I've seen for pastured but not organic is 4.50 to 5
Quote: Originally Posted by Fruitful4Him It is true that big changes are coming. Our leadr (and mostly from what I have read elsewhere on the internet groups and stuff) say that it will be the biggest changes since they rolled out the Points system back in 1999 or so. For me it boils down to this: Weight Watchers has a huge arsenol of drs, scientists, etc and they had focus groups and groups overseas who did this program (I think it is ProPoints or...
Quote: Originally Posted by kindchen Wow, I live in a low COL area and spend about $200/week. We don't eat many packaged foods--the occasional box of Cheerios or canned beans for when I forget to soak beans the night before. We eat very little meat--maybe two meals a month. I see threads on MDC where people talk about monthly food budgets that are less than I spend a week, and I don't understand how that works. Maybe we just eat way more fresh fruit...
It's funny about the weigh-in, yesterday at my meeting someone commented that I was brave to wear jeans. But I always wear jeans. I do try to wear the same basic thing for weigh in every week so it doesn't affect my weight changes. So it's always a pair of jeans and a nursing tank. Maybe a t-shirt too, but no jacket, sweatshirt, sweater etc. And always barefoot. I do weigh naked at home, but I keep track of that weight separately. Also I don't like to be surprised at the...
If you have a reasonable grocery budget (ours currently is 200 a week, but it's just too high) what does your weekly shopping list look like? What kind of meals do you serve? I'd like to get a good idea of what people are feeding their families on a more frugal food budget. I'm especially interested in hearing from people who are ominivorious (we love meat around here) and who don't buy their meat direct from a farmer (I'd love to do this, but I just can't convince dh to...
Quote: Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl I agree with this, and at the same time this general philosophy has brought problems into our household. Sometimes... ok, make that almost all the time... my dd (6) will freak out if her brother wants to play with anything that was given to her saying "but that's my special *whatever*!!!!!". Yes, sometimes it is her stuffed cat that she always sleeps with, or her brand new birthday present. But even more often...
Oh Mama please be gentle with yourself. This isn't your fault. I honestly think your daughter's behavior is fairly normal. Your description of how your daughter is acting toward the child you're nannying for sounds very similar to how my daughter acts toward her baby brother who is 14 months. She sits on him, knocks him down, pulls toys out of his hands, squishes his face in her hands. I think a big part of it is feeling displaced. The behavior has gotten worse as ds has...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ammaarah If your kids are still having coughing spells, even mild ones, it's probably best to stay away from newborns anyway, regardless of anyone's vaccine status. I know I've said this already, but I want to make it clear I have no intention of bringing my children around anyone's newborn as long as they are coughing. Like I said we have other friends who live nearby with a new baby (born in July) and we haven't...
I have a question for you all. Does anyone notice differences in their weight loss based on where they are in their monthly cycle? I noticed last time I had my period at the weigh-in immediately afteward, I had my smallest weight loss, and now this month it seems similar. In fact my period started on Thursday and I haven't lost any weight at all and my weigh-in is only two days away. I'm wondering if this is just a normal pattern in my cycle and perhaps I should just...