or Connect

Posts by puffingirl

I don't have much in the way of encouragement since we are in a very similar boat with DD (1st grade). Same story about testing only one grade ahead and not providing challenging material, despite requests and meetings. We have our fingers crossed to lottery into the TAG school that starts in 2nd grade. In the meantime we are just letting her pick stuff she likes at the library and teaching her to play piano to provide some sort of area where she is learning frustration...
We went apple picking this week and have been making apple treats all week.  We had apple cinnamon bundt cake (so good!), I made apple pie filling for the freezer and we'll can some apple butter too.  Yea, apples!
Mistake: not checking the cupboards (either before or after meal planning), leading to not using stuff we had, buying duplicates, or thinking that we had more of a staple item and find out when I'm ready to make the dish that we don't.   Solution:  just trying to remember to do a quick scan of what we have before thinking of the new week's menu and then double checking stuff after I've made my shopping list   I generally plan to cook 4 main dinners/week.  The 5th...
It is hard to balance it all.  One thing that helps us is having someone come in to clean once a month.  We still have plenty of cleaning to do on a regular basis, but know that everything is going to be scrubbed, dusted and mopped once a month frees up some time for us as a family.  That half-day then gets spent doing something fun--going to the pumpkin patch, going to the movies, whatever.  When things were really super busy, we had our groceries delivered from Peapod...
I've been thinking about some of the things that many of you have written and it's really helped clarify things for me.  It does feel like a more sane approach to not always be pushing for more.  And when I think about what I want for her as an adult it's to find and develop whatever her gift is and use it to help make the world a better place.  It simplifies things and definitely makes it easier to not absorb the anxieties of others.  
Thank you for your thoughtful replies. They really helped me today when I was talking to another parent and was better able to hold my ground, not get too worked up myself, present an alternate view and say "no" to some opportunities.  It feels better than my usual tendency to get swept along with the tide and then feel confused and frustrated.  
DD is in kindergarten and we also use a Planetbox (I'm finding she eats much more this way than when I had stuff in bags last year at pre-k).  She'll take a half sandwich (PB+J, turkey and cheese), or cheese and crackers or or yogurt or veggie rolls in her main compartment and then I fill one small spot with veggies (cut carrots, cukes, peppers, grape tomatoes--basically whatever I have), one with slices of fruit (usual about 1/2 an apple or pear or orange), one with...
We got a Strider balance bike for DD when she was 2 and she loved it.  We moved up to a 2-wheel pedal bike this last year and she learned to ride it so quickly, having mastered balancing on the Strider already.  Never had to use training wheels.  I was very happy with our experience with the Strider!  
DD is 5, has just started kindergarten at our local public school, and I think we're all settled into the new routine.  She likes school and her teacher and is having fun there (hooray!), even if she isn't particularly challenged by it (ex. she reads several grade levels ahead and just reads independently during reading group time).  I want her to live a balanced life, but I end up second guessing myself a lot when I talk with other parents here.  We're not doing a lot...
There was a dance class that DD was loved last year that I couldn't stand for a number of reasons.    I opted out of everything extra (the recital, the photos, etc), even though DD would have liked those things, and then found her a new dance class this year (after having the summer off).  With the natural break of the summer, it was easier.  When she mentioned the old class, I told her it just wouldn't work this year and gave her a choice of 2 new options.  We are now...