or Connect

Posts by puffingirl

Thank you both for your replies.  We had just been talking about some sort of music lessons for DD--she's asking for them.  Either piano or violin, I guess.  She's saying she'd prefer violin but piano makes more sense for us, so we'll see...  She's just started kindergarten at a new school this fall and she's signed up for dance and swim lessons so we will likely wait until spring to start music, unless she seems bored and itchy for a new activity sooner.   I'm glad to...
I love that most of the kids at our school walk there and back everyday.  It's cool to be part of the community in this way.     DD is in kindergarten and I love that they have either music or PE everyday. 
DD is 5 and excels in reading (she reads at about a 5th or 6th grade level) and verbal skills (we haven't done testing, I have no idea if she's "gifted" or not, but this seemed like the best place for this question).  She is very hesitant to do things that she doesn't understand or suspects she'll answer wrong (math, a challenging puzzle, bike riding, whatever).  She consistently wants to stick only with things she knows and feels confident about.  She's an anxious kid...
DD and I had a terrible day yesterday.   She was constantly testing limits, not listening and being outright defiant, which is not typical for her.  I was touchy, upset about my own personal stuff and very rigid, also not typical.  We spent the majority of the day in conflict--her acting out, me taking her out of public places, me asking her to do something, her ignoring, and me escalating to my "firm voice" and threatening consequences.  It was awful.  We had periodic...
I was a picky eater as a kid.  My own DD is FAR more adventurous and easy going about food than I was.  I remember really having a hard time with foods I didn't like as a kid and it would prompt massive anxiety when I was forced to eat it (my parents did the sit at the table until you've eaten it routine).  I would have been fine with the choice of if you don't like it, don't eat it but there is nothing else--I can deal with being hungry until the next meal.  But forcing...
Our guidelines have changed as DD has aged.  We did no TV for about a year and a half and then some Signing Times videos.  Around 3 she was getting about one half-hour show per day.  She'll be 5 next month and over the last year, it's gone to one hour of TV per day.  It's usually in the late afternoon when we both are tired and want to relax a little.  It works for us.  I spend the time doing something I enjoy---reading, practicing guitar, napping, emailing friends---and...
I appreciate the different replies.  DD seems to be a little better this morning but did tell her preschool teachers right away this morning that mama  scared her.    Thankfully, she has excellent teachers and I think it's good for her to talk to them.  I told her this morning that we'd talk more about ways she can take care of herself so she doesn't have to feel so scared but it's going to take a little while for this to even out a bit, I think.  
Please help a mama out here.  DD is almost 5 years old.  I was away for the day and DH was working inside and told her she could play in the yard but she ended up wandering down our street (on the sidewalk) before someone asked her where she lived and where her parents were.  She came back and DH made it very clear to her that she's not to leave the yard (though she has known that before). When I heard about all this upon my return (and I'm exhausted already), I was...
About 40 mins.  I wake up DD, we snuggle a few minutes, figure out what to have to breakfast.  She gets up, goes to the bathroom, picks clothes and gets dressed while I make breakfast (and her lunch).  She comes out and eats and I'll either eat with her or use that time to get myself dressed.  We brush hair and teeth, and she's pretty much set to go while I finish last minute stuff (clear bfast dishes or pack up bags). We both like to sleep as much as possible so getting...
The best tip I got from my MIL was to put out veggies as an appetizer when I'm prepping dinner and DD is at her absolute hungriest. DD is a fan of veggies so it wasn't too tough to sell her on it, but I still think it's a good idea.  I'd get her a plate of cut-up veggies that she likes (carrots, red pepper, cukes) and stick them on a little plate with some sort of dip and let her graze on that while I cooked, or I'd warm up some left-over cooked veggies from the night...