or Connect

Posts by puffingirl

DD is starting kindergarten in the fall, and we have decided to go with our local, public school.  We met with the principal and told her a little bit about where she is with her development (she reads at least several grades ahead--she reads The Magic Tree House books by herself, if that means anything).  We all agreed to start her in kindy, instead of immediately starting her in first grade (socially, I think it would be a complete disaster for her to skip) and were...
Ikea sells a manual one with a glass bottom that is really cheap and works fine as a spice grinder.  
Just popping back in here and glad to see some new faces!  I am leaving tomorrow for a week long retreat and am both incredibly excited and a little nervous.  The first 5 days are a meditation retreat with Jack Kornfield (I love all his books) and then the last 2 days are a personal retreat just for me to take some extra time integrating everything before coming home.  Any time I commit to really spending some serious time going within and listening, I'm a little nervous...
How about corn tortillas for making quesadillas, tacos burritos or enchiladas? You can fill them with whatever each kid will eat.   Can your kids eat gluten free oats?  If so, how about baked oatmeal?  I make it with yogurt, milk and eggs, coconut oil and fruit so it's pretty good at giving fats, protein, grains and fruit all in one dish. It makes a weekly appearance at our house.   We do smoothies when it's warmer out--none of us want them in winter though!  Buckwheat...
Our DD got some for Christmas from my MIL when she was about 2 and they are still being well used several years later.  MIL got them from Sarah's Silks.  They are a little pricey but have lasted really well through tons of use.  They have been capes, gowns, slings, dance silks, baby doll wraps, you name it.  
There are some very entertaining apps for little ones.  My MIL has an iPad and DD loves playing with it.  She has a SuperWhy app that has reading games, a coloring app that you can touch colors and color in parts of a picture (sorry, I don't know what it's called), and she also really loves flipping through the photos that MIL has on there and listening to some of the songs that MIL loads on there for her.  The apps you can get at the touch of a button through the app...
We went through something similar with DD.  You mentioned he has asthma---is he getting the enough breathing treatments?  We had to have her on the nebulizer A LOT when she got really sick, with 2 different meds.  We had been doing oral steroids for her and it just wasn't enough.  When we got on top of it with the neb, things finally settled down.  Hope your little one feels better soon--it's so awful to see them go through this. 
If you haven't read the books by Brian Weiss, I'd recommend them, particularly Through Time Into Healing--I think you'll find a lot in there to help you process this.   For other scholarly works, you can check out the stuff by the late Dr. Ian Stevenson from UVA who studied children that remembered past lives. Another guy at UVA has picked up his work and is still writing about it, but I can't think of the guy's name off the top of my head.  :-)   ETA: When our DD...
DH is Christian and I identify as Buddhist but we all celebrate Christmas and I am trying to make the holiday season as sacred as possible, in a wide sense, for DD (she's 4).  My best friend is Jewish, so we get to celebrate Chanukkah with her too and DD is hearing all the stories of the various holidays around this time of year.  With Christmas itself, we are talking about celebrating the "birthday" of Jesus (more like celebrating that he was born at all, not the...
About $50 for DD (4 years old).  She knows that she gets one gift from us and one from "Santa".  The only thing that she's asked for is a plush doll from a comic book series that she likes.  Grandparents and extended family also give gifts to her.  We are spending more money on holiday outings instead of gifts--we have tickets to the mini-version of The Nutcracker in a couple of weeks and are all going to see a musical when my mom is here over Christmas.  We're all...