or Connect

Posts by puffingirl

I always bake a pie for Thanksgiving and try to bring one that is a little different than the apple/pumpkin/pecan pies that everyone else brings.  For the last 3 years I made a chocolate cream pie that was always a hit and this year I'm making lemon meringue (one of my favorites from childhood).  DD is gluten-free so I buy the GF crust from Whole Foods (which tastes better than my homemade GF ones).  
My 4 year old DD made this one up: What does a cat like on her hotdog? Mouse-tard!   :-)   She also cracks up with: How does a farmer count his cows? With a cow-culator!
Our DD is gluten-free.  We make chocolate chip meringues and they are always a hit. I got a recipe for linzer cookies last year and didn't get to make them but will this year. I make lemon bars with gluten-free flour in the base (I use the Jules brand) and the Double Lemon Bars recipe from epicurious.com.  Really tasty!  I've made brownies with coconut flour and teff but, honestly, the King Arthur GF brownie mix in a box tastes better. Peanut butter buckeye candies are...
I do things in cycles.  Right now I'm in a pottery cycle and have been taking a weekly class for a few months.  Sometimes it's a fitness cycle and I'm at the gym 3 times a week, other times it's a work cycle and I finally catch up on things that have slipped with my work (I'm self-employed).  I'd love to be able to do it all at once, but it's impossible.  I'm ok with the fact that it all comes in waves, even when I'm frustrated that there's never enough time.  
DD is 4 and is slow to take initiative for herself.  She never insisted on "do it myself" with dressing or anything--she likes to be taken care of.  But she's 4 now and I'd like her to do some more things for herself--dress herself most of the way and take herself to the potty being at the top of the list.  She's fighting this hard saying that she wishes she was 2 again and doesn't want to do things for herself.  We talk about it and I empathize about how sometimes even...
I agree that all paths have their hard parts--parenting is tough! Currently, I work about 20 hours/week.  I feel really lucky that I'm self-employed (I'm a therapist) and can set my own hours and that DH has flexible work to be home when I am not.  DD is 4 and I've worked anywhere between 0 and 25 hours/week during her life.  For me, the sweet spot is about 15-20 hours/week.  In addition, I am happiest when she's in preschool or another activity for 3 or 4 hours/day so I...
We made the muddy water analogy concrete for DD and created a "mind jar"--we got the instructions out of the children's book Moody Cow Meditates.  Basically, it's a jar of water with some other stuff in it to make it thicker (glycerin, a little soap) and sparkly glitter.  It's like a snow globe--you shake it up and watch the glitter slowly settle when the jar is still.  The minute or so of watching is about all the time DD can sustain right now but it helps her (and me!)...
My DD (4 years old) is like this.  She can't be bothered to play with other kids, most of the time and calls adults her friends.  The exception is that she loves to ride the 2 person bike at her preschool with other kids.  But that's about it.  Her teachers try to build in teamwork stuff for her with other students but she's always been like this.  When she started preschool, part-time, at 2, she was incredibly verbal and chatty and none of the other kids were. The...
DD has been really enjoying cubes of a ham steak for lunch.  I buy the fully cooked, uncured kind and dice them up.  She can eat that with some fruit, veggies and crackers or pretzels and be pretty content with that.  We'd be up a creek without dairy since she has yogurt every other day though....  
My DD is gluten-free and we make these with the Brown Rice Crispie cereal from Erewohn and regular marshmallows (they are labeled GF on the package).  Always a hit in our house!