or Connect

Posts by puffingirl

You could do a nut-free trail/snack mix that uses seeds instead (sunflower, pumpkin) with dried fruits and a few pretzel bits. 
For DD's 1st birthday, I made a banana bundt cake.  We topped it with a little whipped cream and it was great.
Was thinking of this thread yesterday when 4 y.o. DD had one of her worst bouts yet.  The sobbing went on for at least a half hour and seemed to just come out of nowhere.  We were having a lovely time stringing beads, listening to music and she burst out with gut-wrenching sobs about how she doesn't want to die or have me die.  She wants to glue us together so I'll be with her forever.  I have to admit, this one really got to me.  I got tearful too and it stirred up some...
Fried rice is a great, really cheap meal.  I usually make it out of leftovers and odds and ends.  Whatever veggie bits you have (onion, carrot, celery, peppers, peas, etc) pretty much all work.  Often times I'll make a large batch of brown rice as a side dish one night, saving half of it for the fried rice the next day.  If you have leftover meat, you can throw that it too.  If not, a few eggs are a great, cheap protein addition to it.     Also, quiche can be...
Honestly, I think it's more for me than for her.  I send her to her room when I'm feeling really ticked off about something she's done and losing my grip on my patience.  I just need a few minutes to cool off so I don't scream and yell (I've done that a few times and I felt AWFUL).  Sometimes I just put myself in time-out in my own room instead, depending on the issue involved.  
When we went GF we did a lot of dinners that were meat, rice or potato and 1 or 2 veggies because I already knew how to make all that.  Getting more vegetarian options in was a challenge in the beginning so I got The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen by Donna Klein and Gluten-Free Recipes for the Conscious Cook by Leslie Cerier and have gotten a lot of useful ideas out of them.  I'd recommend both of those books.  
Cucumber soup!  A nice cool soup with mint--it will use up a few of them at least.  :-)
My DD just turned 4 and just got glasses.  She probably should have gotten them sooner, but we didn't know.  We noticed that one of her eyes would get a little wiggly when she was looking down so we mentioned it to her Dr, who sent us to a pediatric opthamologist for a thorough evaluation (actually 2 of them--we saw both lead docs in the practice since she had some odd stuff going on and they wanted to confirm it all before moving forward).  Turns out her eyesight was...
I'm in the DC area--welcome!  If you are looking for group stuff, check out the Insight Meditation Community of Washington.  Their weekly flagship meeting is in MD, but really close to NOVA.  Feel free to message me if you have questions about the area.
In the summer we go to the farmers' market on the weekend and the favorite weekend dinner from that is: Grilled buffalo steak Local corn on the cob Salad made with all local ingredients   Simple but summer perfection on a plate for us.