or Connect

Posts by majormajor

my daughter is 5.5. she's always been very, very active and for the most part had a shorter attention span than other kids her age (she wouldn't even watch TV until she was almost 3), but it wasn't until we had our second daughter than i really began to understand how different she is from other kids.   physically, she's just always moving. she squirms when she sits (she constantly falls out of her chair), she runs all the time... it never stops. even gestating her...
i initially felt upset by my first c-section. i don't want to say traumatized, because it wasn't that bad. it was 5 years ago now, so i have a much better perspective on it. the most upsetting part of my c-section was that it was an emergency, and for the very few minutes between my daughter's heartrate crashing and her out, i was afraid she could die. it was so much to deal with--the potential for a devastating loss is something that's totally new when you become a...
do you mean you've never heard of acylovir for chickenpox in general, or just for chicken pox in a newborn? they gave me acylovir when i came down with chicken pox at 17 (for the second time, i'd had a mild case when i was 4). i started it within hours of the appearance of the first spots, and i still got severly ill. of course, there's no telling how ill i would have gotten if i didn't take it, but i don't know how effective it is if you wait until after symptoms...
i would take her in. i'd want my DD's pedi to listen to her lungs to make sure it wasn't causing pnemonia, and i'd want to know what symptoms to look out for that indicated a complication. however, i would call ahead and let them know that you're thinking it could be measles, because they'll probably want to take steps to avoid the chance of spreading it to other kids. is her timeline right for the measles anyway? i don't know anything about it. a red eye could also be...
thinking of you and your son and praying for a full recovery. how did the surgery go?
  i disagree about the homebirth research. unless you're in british columbia. :-) honestly, i don't think anyone can say a clear picture has emerged yet from the homebirth literature. there is good evidence that homebirth under the right circumstances (CNM with a physician back-up, close to a major hospital) is a very reasonable choice for the right woman. but there is also evidence that neonatal mortality is higher at home. especially here in the US.  
ellemenope, your daughter reminds me so much of my older DD.  your DD's focus on time and birthdays reminded me that my daughter talked a lot about that at that age too, and the next step was a bit of an obsession with mortality and death. one of the things i really appreciated about this board was that it helped me understand how intense it can be when very young gifted kids grapple with death. hopefully it won't be as big an issue for your daughter as it was for mine,...
  it's really unfair of you to dismiss the man's entire book without reading it.   look, if you believe in making fully informed decisions, you should be willing to acknowledge that epidurals can have benefits. for SOME women, they probably represent less risk than not having an epidural (my first labor, in my opinion, was exactly that situation. DD's heartrate looked terrible at 2 cm, but OB said she'd like to go for a vaginal delivery anyway, and only do a c/s if DD...
i'm trying to envision how the ideal OB would discuss epidurals with her patient. when i had questions with my first daughter, i simply asked my OB if she would use an epidural. she said she did not, but that was because 30 years ago, they were rather new. if she were to deliver today at her hospital, she said she would (her hospital placed thousands of epidurals per year, she said, and she knew they were very good at it). if i had wanted more information than that, i...
dr. gilbert, thanks for coming here to talk about your book! i'm very happy to see something like this published, i agree that there is a huge need for accurate information on childbirth.   also, as someone who has taken the time to really thoroughly read through the medical literature on vaccination, VBAC, and homebirth, i haven't even attempted to look at the information on epidurals. there is so, so much, that i'm not sure it's possible to make a properly informed...