or Connect

Posts by majormajor

i am so, so sorry. i wish there was something i could do to take away your pain. hugs.
actually, c-section after a labor doesn't increase the risk of breathing troubles. it's cold c-section, without labor, that does it. the thought had been that the squeeze through the birth canal was what helped but that didn't prove to be the case when they did some research. i'm sorry that happened, it must be scary. :-(   i feel for you too, my first c/s was because DD had the cord around her neck, but it was exacerbated by her awful position. i wonder if she was better...
i was told that there's a practice at maine med that would at least talk to me about VBA2C, but i don't know who they are. if you're willing to go to portland, you can call the L&D ward and ask a L&D nurse who is most likely to at least talk to you about it. nurses know!!
one resource i'm really leaning on in my area, to find out how to get DD's school to meet her needs, are the parents who've been down this road before. most of them have kids that are my age now, but they have been so helpful. it's easy for me to find them though, because i grew up in this town. still, there's probably someone who's gone down this road with your school before you, and they might be helpful.   i feel for you though, it's hard to know  how to push, and...
loraxc, i'm struggling with the same question over here. DD is only in K, and i thought she was happy cutting and pasting and writing (all of which need work, she's a lefty and her handwriting still looks like a kindergartener's, so i thought it was a good fit for now). and for fun at home she reads about science (loves anatomy, has a college level textbook that i have to read to her because it's way over her level, but she got bored with the kiddy one years ago). she...
i've never posted here about my younger DD (and only rarely about my older), but she's 2.5 years old now and looking to be gifted too. but gifted or not, the girl sure is a riot, so i thought you guys might like a few anecdotes. this weekend she announced from her carseat, "mommy, i don't have to wash my hands any more after i go potty because god told me i don't have to." trumped by god! way to go straight to the top kiddo. the next day she ran over to the toilet while...
i voted 18-24 mos, but 18 months is really what i think is perfect. that was about how old DD1 was when she nightweaned. it was sooooo easy, i just explained to her that when mommy goes to sleep, so do the naneys, and she was totally fine. she always used a pacifier, so i think that made it easier, because she had a strong sucking instinct (getting that away from her was much harder, and i'm not even going to tell you how old she was when we took it away. ok i am, she...
  for us, part of the reason i'm thinking about testing now is because i think there's a good chance she has ADHD too. gah. i know we should test and figure out what's going on there. she's never going to be ID'ed as ADHD in the school system because her academic performance is fantastic. and i know gifted can equal very very energetic. but i know it's beyond my expertise to determine if it's gifted energy or ADHD. and since ADHD runs so strongly in the family (they put...
i just hopped on here to ask the same question, so i'm going to be following the responses.   for a long time i totally dismissed the idea of testing my DD (she's also 5, also in K, and also very happy to cut and color at school. and i find myself thinking she'd probably be equally happy actually learning something, and then thinking she's just a little kid, let her enjoy cutting and coloring, and going in circles about it in my head). finally though, i did some...
  this made me chuckle because my husband freelances from home too, on a laptop with a broken screen that *I* broke. oops!! they really are more fragile than they look. i let my DDs use the old laptop (my laptop), and it's been thrown up on and stood on, and is remarkably still truckin'. but yeah, you make a good case for the ipad!!