or Connect

Posts by majormajor

ugh, you're all right. i'm just so desperate for a VBAC next time, and i'm looking and looking for things i can do to make it happen. i know i have to accept that i'll just have to do the best i can, and let go of the rest.
it says this about primary sections: Weiss and colleagues reviewed the records of 16,102 patients to determine whether obesity was associated with pregnancy complications and cesarean delivery.13 They found that the primary cesarean delivery rate was 20.7% for the normal weight patients (BMI < 30), 33.8% for the obese patients (BMI 30–34.9), and 47.4% for the morbidly obese patients (BMI > 35), P < .01. They also found significant associations between obesity and...
i thought this was interesting: http://www.greenjournal.org/cgi/content/full/106/4/741 it says: The success rates for BMI less than 19.8, 19.8–26, 26.1–29, and greater than 29 were 83.1%, 79.9%, 69.3%, and 68.2%, respectively i dug this up because i gained 8 lbs before TTC our DD so i wouldn't be severely underweight. my BMI when i conceived was about 19. i was thinking about where i should be before TTC #2, and i was surprised to find this. just thought i'd...
Quote: Originally Posted by nd_deadhead How about a direct question: "What are your thoughts on circumcision, if it's a boy?" that's how my sis brought it up to me and i wasn't offended or put off at all. but, if that feels too blunt, maybe by sharing your experience (like, saying, "i had a really hard time deciding about [induction/epidural/whatever], but at least circumcision was easy--i researched it and couldn't find any reason to do it." or...
just some random thoughts: i'd guess that the 4 languages could most definitely be involved. if reading is something that just "clicks" in the brain one day, it could easily take a bit longer if your DD's brain is busy with other tasks right now. it sounds like you've assured her that you'll always read aloud to her, so i think that's really all you can do there. Quote: Originally Posted by velochic My undergrad degree is in linguistics. My...
momsy, i agree with you that life is full of boring tasks that i do because i have to do. i can see how other people rationalize the benefits of things (like going to the DMV), and therefore say they're motivated by their own self-interests, but i am not. i hate the DMV, it bores me, and i'll put off going for a year, but eventually i give in and go when i have to. i also see your point about struggling with how to teach your child to do something he doesn't want to...
you kind of remind me of me when i was pg with DD (she's my first and only so far). only, with me, i *knew* something wasn't right, and that DD was going to be born by section. i'm not trying to scare you or anything, but i wish i had been able to trust that feeling more and prepare for the section (which i did have, after 12 hours of labor, because DD's cord was around her neck). because i knew deep down (or DD was telling me, i think it was actually coming from her),...
my first thoughts when i read your post were about the nature of society--that fundamentally, a society is when a bunch of humans decide to live together for the protection and benefit of all, and make up some rules that overall benefit everyone. these rules, however, have the downside of limiting freedom. Quote: Originally Posted by Deborah Part of what I'm struggling with is that the whole "herd immunity" thing is based on the idea that individuals can...
my university (boston college) wanted me vaxed for hep B (and maybe MMR, who knows) before i started classes. i didn't do it because on the day i went for my pre-college physical (didn't even know they were planning on vaxing), they diagnosed chicken pox (which really, really sucked because i was supposed to leave for france in 3 days). i, of course, had already had the chicken pox as a kid, lucky me to get it twice. ANYWAY, i didn't do any vaxes of course, and my dr...
i was a gifted kid, and my schools (elementary-HS) never had a gifted program. so, i know how your kid feels! my parents encouraged me to do my own work during class. i used to read all the time while my teachers were teaching. if i ever got in trouble for it (rarely, most teachers understood that i was smart and already "got it"), then my parents would go to bat for me. i also wrote a lot, drew, and practiced my penmanship (i still enjoy that and do calligraphy as a hobby...