or Connect

Posts by Liquesce

Nora, Amina, Amani, Alia, Safiya/Sofia, Dana, Yasmin, Rima, Aida, Sherine, and May all come to mind for girls.  I'm never good with even thinking of boys' names, but maybe Rasheed, Kareem, Omar, Jamal, "Adam" if it's not too common for your husband's tastes, Yassin, Yusef.  I don't suppose your spouse and/or his family likes jazz?  There were quite a few prominent jazz musicians in the U.S. during the 50s and 60s who converted to Islam and took Arabic names (Art Blakey...
Like what?
Muhammad put a lot of emphasis on the "prophets are just people" idea, so while pious literature will sometimes play up "miracles" he himself was emphatic that "my miracle is the Qur'an."  Beyond that, it is considered that prophets, while capable of human error, are protected from major sins, and so his life -- his biography, his actions -- are often thought of as a sort of template for right action.    It's not really a question of "false prophets" so much as it is...
It's said that the fundamental message of all prophetic messengers has been the same, primarily being proscribing the worship of one god, undivided.  It's basically saying the core theological structure that makes Islam has been universal among god's messengers.  As for the minutiae of any one earlier prophet's statements, Islamic texts don't make a lot of claims. 
  The Qur'an defines Jesus as a prophet and messenger of god, but explicitly contradicts the ideas of his being a child of god, of divinity, and of the crucifixion and resurrection. Where the story is similar to the Biblical account is most prominent in the story of his birth and in some stories related to miracles performed (healing the blind, etc).   The Qur'an isn't viewed as necessarily the only accurate source, but it is viewed as the supremely accurate source, such...
Quotes attributed to Jesus in the Bible are by and large not a part of the Islamic depiction of Jesus.  An Islamic faith in Jesus by no means implies a faith in the accuracy of the text of the Bible.
    I don't understand being confused that a group which faces a great deal of racial and racialized targeting and stereotyping might be questioned and put down by "society" more than a group which does not.
  You are misdefining "extremist" in an Islamic context.   Let me put it this way: there has been nothing in your comparison-making thus far that does not quite routinely make gender activists in Islamic cultures roll their eyes.  There is a great deal of historical and contemporary racism surrounding the various people associated with Islam, often premised on that association, often dressed up in terms like "the extremism" of "the veil," etc.  The comparison fails...
The comparison still fails, for multiple reasons, not the least of which being that there is no such thing as an "Arabic culture."  Really, you're talking about complex things, or rather not talking about them but invoking them to make a point that has nothing whatsoever to do with them.  Which almost never works, on any level, beyond that of serving the narrative that huge, broad, autonomous cultures may be easily reduced to readily grasped monoliths.
Al-Mujalbaba has 60" - http://www.al-mujalbaba.com/categories/Women/Hijabs-%26-Khimars/Georgette-Hijabs/   They're synthetic but very summer friendly, plus the bonuses of wrinkle resistant and easy to clean.  They're a little slippery, even the pebble georgette, so an underscarf helps.   They don't seem to have a lot of color choice right now, but Sunnah Style sells 56" and 66" square scarves in a nice, soft material...