or Connect

Posts by waikukumama

These are amazing!   Interesting how many of these are vehicular memories ... I have one too ... I can remember me and my 2 big brothers LOVED when my folks would go out (to concerts, to parties) because they'd fold down the seats in the back of the station wagon and we'd make a wee bed in there and sleep to the sounds of revelry.  When the Police came (the band, with Sting ... not the Feds!) in 1980, I kipped in the back of the car.   MAN ... you could NEVER do...
Thank you.   Y'all are delicious and perfect ... I feel really lucky to be able to find community just like that.   She's super cool.  And your babies are lucky to have you!   xxx  
 That's all good, right?   I just need some words of reassurance from some wise women ...   she's healthy, bonny and lovely.  She'll chomp on a stick of celery or whatever as a teething aid, and she enjoys playing with purees or playing with her spoons, but she really isn't into food.  She's interested in her dad, older sister & I when we eat/drink, but just not into any of that for her self.    She's exclusively breastfed and I have no worries nursing her. ...
Good on you, Home Made Momma! Healthy Chocolate Brownies... Ingredients: 1 cup unsweetened applesauce 1/3 cup cocoa 3/4 cup self-raising flour (I often use 3/4 cup regular flour and add 3/4 tsp baking powder.  Kind of cheating, but hey ...) 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/2 cup sugar 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 cup DARK choc chips (use the best quality chocolate you can afford that week and then you can claim flavinoid health benefits!) optional extras: eg 3/4cup walnuts,...
Hello!  I live on an orchard with 30 acres of fruit, so I am ALL ABOUT simple ideas ... I use my slow cooker.  I love this recipe because you don't even have to peel skins - saves time, adds fiber!  I wash them, quarter them, cut out any weird bits, biff them in the slow cooker with some water (half a cup, maybe a cup) and THAT IS ALL.  When they're soft (takes anywhere from an hour to all day, depending how many apples you're using and what variety they are) you wait...
Hello lovely fit mommas!   I am due around Feb 20, this is my second pregnancy.  I'm ol' lady 37 years old now, for my previous pregnancy I was a sprightly 29.  I was working full time last pregnancy, and this time around I am totally relishing NOT doing so.  The primary bonus is that I can do as much exercise as I'd like to!  I am doing everything I was doing before I got preggers: weights, spinning, yoga, even dirtly old step aerobics!  (I know, very 80's of me...
During my first pregnancy, I traveled from NZ to USA for a conference at almost 20 weeks.  I was EXHAUSTED, made worse by sharing a room, and BOY did I need to nap.  Travel companions don't always understand!  Will you get your own room?   Right now I"m pregnant for 2nd time (many years later!) and we just got back from a wee family holiday to Australia.  Again, I was knackered, but at least with hubby & daughter I could insist on a lie down at any...
tempted to wait till December, but putting an immediate shout out to all you good ladies just to give your bellies a rub for luck.     I'm 36, married for 10 years, we have a glorious almost 7 year old daughter, and about 5 years of TTC elusive #2.   Some days this sucks, right?  Other days it's all part of the grand plan and good learning and part of life's rich tapestry, etc.  But some days?  Just plain old suck.   take care dearies xx
Hey mommas,   So happy to find this thread. We'll be hosting a "salute to thanksgiving" for other Kiwi American families in New Zealand.  It's springtime here, so feels rather presumptuous to celebrate the harvest, but what the heck.   We will roast our own (free range!) turkey, and roast some potatoes (an abundance of yummy organics at my local), and I plan to make a big ol' green salad (love the feta/walnut idea) and a wild rice salad. I thought I'd try the...
I have been reading the most incredible book by a British author, and she (her name's Naomi but I have inconveniently forgotten the last name temporarily!) anyway: What Mothers Do. It is an enlightening piece o' work, and some of her ideas are validated by this thread: she introduces the notion that it is a lack of appropriate colloquial language that makes it so difficult for mothers to explain what they do. for example: a skilled and attentive mother spends a...