or Connect

Posts by felix23

What about EWTTB - Expensive Wooden Toys That Break. I once got really into the all natural, handmade toys and paid a small fortune for a small wooden toddler kitchen. My daughter ended up breaking the door off in a couple of months. She took the wooden accessories outside to play with in the sand box, left them, they got rained on, and then were ruined. Then there are the super cute wooden pull toys that she rolled down our driveway and they chipped up. We now have...
Quote: Originally Posted by MammaB21 I meant carelessness as in accidental. I don't see many kids hanging out in the middle of a bonfire just for kicks. If they fall in, it's an accident, right? Curiousity is a little different from confusion. Curiousity might bring you close to danger, but usually there are still personal boundaries in place. Not everyones personal boundaries are the same. My DD's were WAY wider than mine. There were times we'd be at the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dr.Worm And here we go....honestly, why can't someone do something differently than another parent without the whole "well, MY kid never ran away so it must be your fault" instead of "hey, sounds like the leash is working well for your family." I am sooo very tired of the competitiveness of parenting. : I'm glad for those who have children that will not streak off at the first chance, but I ended up with two that...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kelly1101 This is kind of how I feel. I'm much more AP advocate than NCB advocate. I had my first baby unmedicated (in hospital), plan to do the same with this one, so I'm kind of semi NCB. And if I'm talking to a woman who is considering trying a NCB I'll definitely be encouraging and talk about it. But I agree with CherryBomb, there is no universal "best" birth-- just the best birth for each woman/baby/situation, case by...
Quote: Originally Posted by Galatea B/c it is always sparked by someone in real life. None of us know the person being referred to. We are not finding her to shame her. If we phrased it as, "There is a woman who...," I suspect that many people would still say that we should not question people's birth choices, even when we are not calling out that person in specific. So in general, people who choose inductions for silly reasons (I should know,...
Quote: Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy How about just "Non-natural birth & immediate bonding" -- keep it neutral. I do agree that the title of your post is very hurtful, although I understand what you're trying to get at. Also, you are saying "lead to difficulties in mothering" or "lead to bonding problems" but you are also saying that you're talking about the immediate bond & it's relation to oxytocin & prolactin. I think you need to separate the...
Quote: Originally Posted by amberskyfire The topic is getting derailed a little bit so I just wanted to try to get things back on track for those still with us. The original question was, in short, if anyone knew of any research that shows a correlation between non-natural birth and mothers who have difficulty bonding with their babies after the birth. We know for a fact that oxytocin and prolactin are not released in the same large amounts during...
Quote: Originally Posted by amberskyfire I think you are probably right! Still looking for research, but based on moms in the natural parenting community, they haven't had any problems much of the time. See, I could say the exact same thing about mom's in the mainstream communities I'm involved in, they haven't had any problems much of the time either. Having a non-natural birth does not automatically cause difficulties being a mother....
Can we all agree that non-natural birth doesn't = difficulty being a mother and natural birth doesn't = ease being a mother? Because the title of this thread is non-natural birth = difficulty being a mother and the answer is a huge NO. Sometimes the birth experience can cause difficulty with mothering, but that includes both natural and non-natural births. I agree with zoebird that whether or not the birth impacts mothering is up to the individual, but a negative...
No, I don't think it plays any part in it. Right now I know three mothers that all had c-sections, all planned to CIO, spank, and the second they had their baby, they changed their mind. This was without reading any AP material. I also know of two people who had natural home births, read the Dr. Sears books, and still not only practiced CIO with very young babies, but they also followed the Pearls and started spanking when their babies were six months old. What it...