or Connect

Posts by Thao

Regarding the definition of terrorism, I think I would define it fairly narrowly, because I don't think the concept of "terror" (a very strong word) should get watered down. I'd define it as a violent and unexpected action against civilians aimed to cause terror and a feeling of constant insecurity, in order to coerce a political change.   Financial coercion of other countries can be bad (I say "can" because certain financial embargos have accomplished good - South...
For those of you looking for free banking services, try a credit union if you are eligible to join one. I bank with one and get free checking, free online billpay, free cash withdrawals from the credit union ATM... of course I have to pay for some services like international wires but it is very reasonable. I *heart* my credit union! :D
Well, probably we agree more than we think. Your statement bolded below is all I was trying to get at - there there is little qualitative difference between the people loudly celebrating OBL's death and the people who loudly celebrated 9/11. Earlier in the thread you made statements that led me to believe that you thought the two are very different, but maybe it was a misunderstanding.
Just to be clear: I don't think you need to do more research because you disagree with me, but rather because I see you making simplified generalizations about a very complex issue without much factual basis. Like saying that everyone who celebrated 9/11 was just in it for the vengeance, and supporting that by saying we didn't back down after Pearl Harbor so the terrorists must have know we wouldn't back down after 9/11. When I pointed out that we have sometimes backed...
Yes, I get that you think this. I've tried to point out that things are not as simple as you think, but you are still making sweeping generalizations like "terrorists act primarily out of vengeance". I could list quite a few groups that have committed terrorist acts that did not spring from vengeance, but rather a calculated attempt to achieve a political goal (I suppose I'd start with the US and Hiroshima). But I'm thinking there's no point, as you haven't really engaged...

Attacks against America have certainly occasionally achieved the political goals of the attackers, which their supporters would have believed (at the time of the attacks) would bring about a better life for them, whether or not a better life actually materialized later on or not. I've already mentioned Beirut, where the terrorist attack on our Marine barracks was a major factor in Reagan deciding to pull out of that country. Vietnam is another major example where...
I'm wondering what sort of facts you've found that you can confidently say that all of the people celebrating the 9/11 attacks were motivated by (hate? vengeance?) and not any desire to better the lives of their people?
"What if some other country in the world makes a determination that an American citizen is a bad guy who has caused the deaths of thousands in their country (*cough* Henry Kissinger *cough*)? Should they be allowed to take the same liberties...to send secret military folks into the USA to kill their bad guy? Do you see the chaos and brutality that would ensue if all countries took the same liberties as the United States?"   Actually, I was thinking Reagan for his...
(For some reason I can't get the quote button to work.)   "Thao, no part of that sentence was an assumption; it was what I see, what I think, and what I approve, in other words my opinion."   Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but some opinions are based on fact and some on assumption. So far, all you've given to back up your opinions is assumptions about what you think people thought. I would agree with you that probably nobody thought the 9/11 attack would...