or Connect

Posts by Dillpicklechip

Aimee, I agree with many of the others here...some of CM's ideas are very helpful in planning our homeschooling journey, but you have to keep in mind that she was writing in a different time altogether, when honestly I think it was easier to expect obedience from children because obedience was everywhere in the culture, which was highly structured. Today things are different. Don't beat yourself up because your home doesn't conform to the standards of 100 years ago. None...
Please forgive me if this is not the correct forum for this question...I figured homeschoolers tend to know lots about books! :)   My daughter is 11, will turn 12 in January. She loves to read. Recently she started reading the Warriors series by Erin Hunter. To say she loves these books would be an understatement. She devours each one quickly as we bring it home from the library.   But I haven't read the books myself and I'm concerned that they be to intense for...
St. Margaret, thank you, but I know it is not round ligament pain. I get those pains like crazy during pregnancy and all the time actually. These twitches are high up around my stomach, and not really painful. Rockycrop, it sounds like we are experiencing something similar. It does feel a bit like something hitting me. It's not unlike a strong sudden kick from a baby inside, only it's definitely not that! I wish I had remembered to ask my midwife about this yesterday!
Yes, that's totally normal. I am on my 4th pregnancy, and with my 2nd, my son kicked and punched my cervix all the time. It hurt like crazy. Some pregnancies are just like that--nothing much you can do about it!
I had never even heard that it was not a good idea to take high amounts of vitamin C while pregnant. I am taking 1000mg per day, which is what I always take.
Okay this is going to sound weird...and before I explain I will say what I am experiencing is NOT the baby moving, because I have been having this weirdness since I was about 6 weeks pregnant. Fairly often, maybe 8 or 9 times per day, my stomach muscles have this sort of strong twitch or spasm. It's always on the left hand side, usually above the waist, and it always happens when I'm in a sitting or lying position and trying to move--like turning over in bed, or...
I liked Karen Andreola's book as well. Ambleside Online and other sites can be overwhelming sometimes, with all the book lists and schedules--but Karen's book seems to portray a more gentle and laid-back version of this educational method. She also goes into a lot of detail in describing the activities she did with her own children, which is helpful.
We spend about $125 on food per week. This is buying virtually nothing ever that is not on sale--I stock up on essentials when there is a good sale so I never have to buy full price. We don't eat a lot of meat either, and I make almost everything from scratch. There are 5 of us. I can't imagine spending any less than this without eating complete crap like instant noodles for dinner. People who can spend $200 per month must have wonderfully cheap food in their area. I am in...
Whiteisle, all of these programs are someone's interpretation of CM's methods, and while they all have their good points, there is absolutely no reason why you have to follow any of them. Pick and choose which aspects you like of each, or even start from scratch and create your own curriculum. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it. As for Ambleside Online, it is an American curriculum devised by American homeschooling moms, so while I do use many of their...
Quote: Originally Posted by EmsMom If I was to be really happy, I would have friends over for a nutritious and delicious meal (lots of people think that eating healthy food is weird in itself), discuss the interesting social phenomena of the day in a deep way (does anyone do that anymore?) and maybe create some music together. Nice long walks in the woods/gardens would be nice, too. Oh my gosh...that sounds like about the most wonderful...