or Connect

Posts by Kanga

It depends on the community.  I've lived in a small citiy where I was comfortable leaving my seven year old to play while I ran errands (at shops across the street); the park was full of people we knew and I'd make sure he knew where to find me.  There were always other parents or grandparents sitting around anyway and it was the norm for adults in that community to keep an eye on the kids in general, even if they weren't your own.  We've since moved and again, I'll let...
I don't have a problem with this.  I'd likely take my son to the location of the club and let him know where he could find me.  If it were that large of a library I don't think I'd just drop him off at the entrance unless he was familiar with the location and had a friend or two to walk with.
Background info, I am training to be a childbirth educator. My passion for natural child birth stems mostly from a desire for women to experience their best possible birth. This is not the same birth for everyone, of course and I am often conflicted about how much I should discuss natural birth with pregnant women. I have tried to become very careful to first get a feel for what they want and are expecting from the birth and then try to go from there. I sometimes...
What great advice! I know I have to fundamentally change the way I carry myself, so every little bit helps. I have one shoulder that is at least an inch higher than the other and the muscles on that side are rock solid. Massage therapists have never been able to make any progress with it. I would see the chiro once a week if I could afford it, and he understands that and give me lost of exercises to do when I am away. We're actually making some progress just going...
I look at my dad, his sisters, and photos of my grandmother and I see where my posture is heading. They all had hunched shoulders and pronounced humps on their backs. Mine is well on it's way there. I'm exercising, stretching, seeing a chiropractor once a month, rolling around on the floor on a large Styrofoam rod... but I wanted to ask... What are your best posture cures? Best ways to keep and grow posture right from the start (for my kids)? What about your life...
Thank you so much! I knew I could count on Mothering readers to help me out. I'll pass the information on to my friend who is moving out there this week (and hopefully convince her to subscribe to Mothering as well) : Thanks again
Moving to Alexandria and am looking for a homebirth midwife available for a September due date.
I'm struggling too. I haven't checked out flylady, but just started trying to follow a routine posted in here: http://www.littleturtleknits.com/blo...ent-binder.htm This is for a home management binder and she has files that you can download. My routine is closely based on the files in her "Brain" files. I just made some small adjustments (feed bird instead of cat...). But like all good cleaning routines, I think it's hard to go from random efforts to 100%...
I'd look for pillows with colorful patterns on them of a certain theme, but not all the same. For instance, I see a lot of pillow covers these days with a wool south american weave... you could get a bunch of different ones and it would play off the other colors in your room without the matchiness. Or go with hippy prints or classic 1950s. I'd pick a style you like and then start with a few and add to it as you stumble across more.
There was an article in Mothering actually, maybe about a year ago about exactly this issue... which I see as teens and staying connected... and the author used music to do so. I think the approach might be worth a shot! You're tastes don't seem all that different, you could start by listening to an alternative rock radio station, even one online (Live 105 in SF) together. Have it on in the car or at home. Maybe you'll get some new favorites and she might too... ...