or Connect

Posts by mom2reenie

DD started doing phonics a little after she turned 3 and was reading chapter books by age 4 (at 3.5 she was reading the beginning phonic books--like Dick and Jane).     DS1 is 4 and started being about to sound out words a couple of months ago and still needs help.  I don't expect him to be reading, reading until at least next fall.    I think there is something that has to click and once that clicks, they take off.  It clicked early for DD, but hasn't clicked...
Personally, I'd keep her in preschool and really work on the motor skills.  It may not be important to you, but it's an important part of public school.  (especially during recess).   DD sounds a lot like your DD--well advanced of her peers when she was 4, but socially and gross motor skills pretty much age appropirate (or delayed in some areas).  We chose to enroll her in preschool with the goal that she would work on gross motor skills and social skills. 
Could it just be his personality and him want to be like big brother or sister?   I think it's more of a younger brother/sister problem overall than a younger brother/sister of a gifted child problem.    I'd just really focus on both of them that we all have strengths and weaknesses and when he starts getting upset that he's not as good as them, point out something he exceeds at that others struggle (maybe not the older siblings, but someone else you know or even...
My 31 month old has just been diagnosed recently with Apraxia of Speech, which is a speech delay/processing disorder.  He has been in speech therapy since he was 18 months.  Every evaluation, they comment on how well he is able to get his point across without words.  At his last evaluation he tested at 12 months for expressive language and 36+ months for receptive language.  He is very slow to pick up signs, but more often than not he is able to communicate his wants and...
  I didn't think the OP was asking if there are tests to use to see if her 5.5 year old had advanced vocabulary.  Of course there are tests that can be given to figure that out.    I took it as an outsider, what words would I consider advanced for a 5.5 year old and my answer is "I don't think I would consider a 5.5 year old to have advanced vocabulary" based on just listening to them talk.  When I hear my friends 5.5 year old discuss in depth information about skunks,...
We love games, always been a big fan and my kids usually start playing them before they turn 2 (not always knowing exactly how, but try).  Not all of these will encourage letter recognition/reading, but simple enough that they are good first games to learn to take turns, etc...   If you can find Letter Factory game, it's a great game.  But, it's not made anymore Cranium Cariboo (I think the new version is Island) I spy preschool Cranium Balloon Lagoon Boggle...
I think almost 3 is still so young to know for sure if they are gifted or if their quirks are more than just quirks. DD sounds just like your son did.  She is advanced (more than likely gifted) and had so many quirks and all were related to sensory.  Since she was also selective mute (never officially diagnosed, but wouldn't talk to anyone she did not know really well for 2 years), we knew that evaluations would not help.  She had an awesome Kindergarten teacher who...
So great that they are meeting with you so quickly and willingly!  sounds like possibly that was the way to go.   DD sounds like your son.  3rd grade, hasn't had to work for her grade and is near top of her class across the board.  She's already in the accelerated program at her school.  Something to check is to see what programs they offer in higher grades to keep him challenged.  Especially come junior high--is there enough classes available to keep him accelerated...
I don't know if I would ever think that a 5.5 year old had an advanced vocabulary.   I figure by then they are able to repeat what they have heard and use it correctly and if they are reading they can pick up words that they have read and use them correctly.    I think, also, that 5-6 year olds have such a wide range of knowledge that it's hard to compare them.
Nope, we don't.  I know if DS saw it, he'd want something and any therapy would go down hill quickly.  Meetings are usually around our table and if we offered food/drinks, there wouldn't be room for the papers.