or Connect

Posts by mumkimum

First, ideal to clean the clothes again if you've noticed anything before packing to store them again.  Are the insects you've found carpet beetles (little brownish-red larvae or skins, and tiny black beetles)?  Not moths? Carpet beetles are a lot more common.    Having had carpet beetles, I've found the best solutions are to pack some things in plastic (just tightly closed plastic bags) and then in boxes.  This will limit what anything gets into a bit as they don't...
Having a period where there's less pressure (like no regular lessons, but an instrument and books she could pursue on her own somehow) can be a good thing.  Occasional lessons (like monthly) might be a nice change too - sometimes it's nice to slow down during periods like this and that's a nice alternative to stopping completely.  A lot of us do this naturally as adults - and I do think it's particularly helpful for older kids in music which can just feel like you're...
Mountains - but this is mainly because I personally dislike beaches and lots of sun so it's not relaxing at all.  Plus, we don't have mountains around Ohio to enjoy.  
I've been to:   Yellowstone Badlands (& Mt. Rushmore) Mammoth Caves Acadia (ME) New River Gorge (WV) Rocky Mountain (CO) Indiana Dunes     Mammoth Caves were a real favorite of mine.  Pretty much nobody is hiking above ground, plus it's very shaded (and you can do your cave tours between hikes to cool off too).  Really, really neat place.     I thought the Badlands were beautiful to drive through (we did this on the way to Yellowstone one year,...
We have the Angry Octopus book too, actually.  I think there are also tapes where it's read to you - it's a basic intro to progressive relaxation, though, and might be pretty helpful.   One source we found helpful for dealing with excessive anger (for us all) was this little song from the Daniel Tiger show that my kids picked up on their own - it's very catchy.  I think the link is for a poor quality version of the show it's on, couldn't find just the song right now...
I've also found it helpful when I point out and get foods that are extremely similar to others they enjoy (hey - this kiwi tastes a lot like your favorite strawberries, but it's green.  Let's eat them together), or just really work at trying different ways of cooking favorites.  It's good practice for experimenting on trying new things without it being totally unknown for young and less adventerous-eating kids - like trying eggs as an omlette, soft boiled, hard boiled,...
OP - we had a pet store locally where people were putting up flyers and protesting about their use of puppy mills.  I do believe they weren't 'supposed to' (can't remember exactly - it was 4-5 years ago, but I think there was something controversial about it in the paper I'd read, though not that people were being arrested or anything) -- but the store did close and lots of people (myself included) ceased shopping there at the time once it became known (and this was...
My mom has recently been feeding & caring for a baby sparrow someone she knows found lying on the ground outside.  Her friend had snatched it away from some children (whom she feared were going to step on it) and then didn't know what to do, and my mom took it in.  It's been okay for about a week so far.  Apparently you're supposed to feed it cat food (high protein) about every 45 minutes.  It will be real interesting if it makes it - might end up being raised with...
A huge fave of our kids, during summer especially, is frozen fruit - mostly berries.  I've always found it lasts pretty well once we've run out of other fresh fruit.  Plus they take longer to eat, so they end up feeling more filling.   Not like you need to yourself, OP - but I know I personally started eating eggs again when I was pregnant.  I'd toss a fried egg on top of rice/grains and big handful of baby spinach.  It might be something like that could be helpful -...
Honestly, I find both my dd's get stuff all over their clothes every day too (they're 3 & 6).  They also have that tendency to wipe everything off on their clothes.  On one hand, I'd much rather they wipe things on their clothes than the sofa or chairs or the rug, but I get the frustration OP.  I really try to just hand them a napkin, hanky, or wet washcloth and say 'here - you need this' and assume they'll eventually grow out of this.     I DO think that she could...