or Connect

Posts by amitymama

My daughter just turned 5 and my son is 2.5. I began working as a birth and postnatal doula last year and am really loving it. I've also recently decided to become a childbirth educator and have looked into doing the training for that later this year. My marriage is better than it's ever been, we're finally digging ourselves out of the financial hole we were in for so long when I wasn't bringing in an income and I'm finally getting time to exercise, see friends, travel...
Thank you, that's a good point. I have no idea whether I'll get engorged or not. I'm a doula and back in August when I was at a birth for about 18 hours I did get quite engorged but then at my next one in October I was gone for about the same amount of time and didn't feel full at all. So who knows! Hopefully it won't be a problem. I think I'll take breast pads, a spare shirt, a muslin cloth and a cup to express into, just in case. Thank you for the tips. 
Thank you, CrazyMumOfTwo. :) Hand expression is a good idea, thanks. Now, my big concern -- what if I need to hand express on my transatlantic flight or in the airport? I guess I'd have to do that in the toilet. Yuck! I just pray to god that there aren't any crying babies on my flight or I might need a new shirt. lol 
  I know I'll likely get engorged, I am simply asking for some tips for dealing with that.    My son will be just fine without me. His father (my husband) has a great bond with him and is perfectly capable of looking after him. I'm not worried about that, just the nursing side of it.    To be honest, whether my trip is necessary or not is beside the point. The fact remains that I will be gone and would just like some guidance on how to deal with engorgement, etc.. while...
My son, at 26 months, nurses 1-3 times a day. I am happy with it for the most part, though part of me is starting to feel 'done'. If he really wanted to continue I would be okay with that but if he stopped I'd also be okay with it (though a little sad).    I'm going overseas for 9 days, alone, starting next week. I don't know what to do about nursing. The longest he's ever gone without 'mama' (his word for bf) is 1.5 days. He will be in the care of his father, who he...
Since she offered to help you at the birth and you are such close friends I would assume that she is not charging you but for peace of mind I think you should double check. If you don't feel comfortable outright asking her if she's doing it for free or charging, maybe you could make a casual remark or joke about getting a discount for her services and see how she responds.    My friend, though not an official doula, attended my son's birth and I gave her a magazine...
I'm attending a conference on feminism in London in October and hope to get more involved with some more hands-on activism through contacts I make there. I've also just started writing a book about feminism and motherhood so that will keep me busy for quite awhile! Have any of you read "My Mother Wears Combat Boots: A parenting guide for the rest of us" by Jessica Mills? She's a punk musician/anarchist/radfem and it was refreshing to read a parenting guide by someone who...
Just reviving this thread, glad to see it here on MDC. I haven't been on here in quite awhile, mainly because I could't find many like-minded radfems to chat to. Now I might be lured back in if this thread gets more active! So, hello.
You can praise one group without slamming another. Dr. Laura does not manage to do that. Instead, she uses it as an excuse to cram 'family values' down our throats, where mom is the center of the children's lives (and vice versa) and the father is just a blurry figure somewhere in the background, earning money and 'babysitting'. Blech, no thanks!
I tried it once and thought it hurt like hell too so I stopped and just worked on preparing myself mentally. I didn't find my DS's birth all that painful, no more so than it should do anyway.