or Connect

Posts by Trillian

Quote: Originally Posted by eepster all I had actually proven was that 3 to the Nth power + B to the Nth power can't equal C to the Nth power If you have time, could you post the proof, or at least an outline? I have been thinking about this off and on since reading your post and even this simpler version seems rather nontrivial. I am genuinely curious to know what the solution is!
Some more detail on how to interpret those numbers: Quote: The statistics I found show that there is a death rate of children in car accidents of 5/100 000/year. The best statistics I could find on airline turbulence deaths was 0.2/billion boardings, for all passengers, including both adults and infants. Note that since we are interested in car seat-preventable deaths, I am not going to look at the death rate from airplane crashes, where being in a car seat is...
Some numbers I dug up and posted elsewhere: Quote: During 1981 to Nov 1996, there were 252 reports of turbulence affecting major air carriers and 863 passengers received minor injuries, 63 received serious injuries and 2 passengers died. 2 deaths over a 15-year period? Over 750 million people are expected to fly in an airplane this year alone... That means about 10 billion passengers flew during that 15-year period, giving a death rate of 0.2 per...
Quote: Originally Posted by alegna The question is what IS the safest choice? I know that flying is safer than driving *in general* I don't know -statistically- if it's still safer for the lap baby to be on a plane rather than in a car.... -Angela Yes, per mile traveled it is significantly safer to fly, even as a lap baby.
Quote: Originally Posted by alegna Statistically, I realize that flying with a seat for everyone is safest. Statistically, NEXT safest would be flying with a lap baby. Then driving (with everyone properly restrained of course) would be the least safe. [...] JUST safety-wise- which would you choose? It seems like you've already answered your own question. If safety is the only consideration, why would you choose something other than the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Juvysen wait... isn't this what black holes are all about? No light escapes because the gravity is so strong? Yes. In Newtonian physics, light is unaffected by gravity because photons are massless. But that is not the whole story. In relativistic gravitation, the effect of gravity is to curve the space around it, and with it the trajectory of planets, photons, and everything else. Gravitational lensing is one...
Quote: Originally Posted by Oriole One can also say that the scientist are working on converting matter into energy and vice versa. But even when it's done it will be a conversion, and "E" won't equal "M" all of a sudden. "Something" will have to happen to change one into another, something will have to convert "energy" we can't see into little particles of "matter" we can. The difference is still there, and the next Einstein will have to have a good...
Quote: Originally Posted by lisac77 That webpage is wrong. Brief notes about matter and energy for a quick reference: 1) All matter in the universe (in the ordinary world) is made of small ether units and which are in a highly compressed state. I call it "Ether Magnetic Particles" or space matter. Also, the spaces between the celestial bodies in the universe are filled with space matter [The 90% 'unknown matter' in the universe is space...
I don't have good suggestions for cleaning, but can you put down a waterproof pad to prevent future accidents from getting to the mattress? I had a flat crib-size pad that I tucked under the sheet in the spot where DS slept.
It depends on the specific protein she is allergic to and whether it is found in the eggs of other species. From wikipedia: Quote: Most people who are allergic to hen's eggs have antibodies which react to one of four proteins in the egg white.[4] These proteins are named ovomucoid, ovalbumin, ovotransferrin, and lysozyme; ovomucoid, also called Gal d 1, is the most common target of immune system attack.[4] The egg yolk contains several potential antigens:...