or Connect

Posts by Trillian

We are egg, wheat, and dairy free (among other things). I found a great bread recipe in one of the Gluten-Free Gourmet's cookbooks. It's called Bette's 4-flour bread, or something like that. You can substitute Energy-G egg replacer for the egg, and margarine for the butter (I use Buttery Stick brand). It's based on tapioca flour, corn starch, potato starch, and garfava flour. We have a bread machine and make 1-2 loaves a week. Highly recommended! I would be extremely...
Quote: Originally Posted by sunnmama Well, I read this, which is supposed to demonstrate that the atheist is a fool....but, frankly, the apologist sounds foolish to me in that dialog. and also a bit like a tricky defense atty, lol nak that said, i explored some more, and other apologists knowlegable in qm believe it strengthens their argument. regardless, qm seems to be a factor...but not one i understand. I missed this post the first time...
Quote: Originally Posted by Smokering Secondly, you clearly have not being paying attention to this thread if you think my only objection to evolved, subjective morality is 'the Bible says so'. I have proposed several logical/philosophical errors with the concept and related concepts, and you have not refuted one of them. Actually, they have been refuted. Clearly not to your satisfaction, but that is understandable considering the vastly...
Quote: Originally Posted by Smokering At its core, science is based on beliefs--the belief that knowledge can be gained through sense experience, the belief that the future will be like the past, the belief that matter exists, and so on. Observation comes logically consequent to those beliefs. That's why I've asked posters on this thread to tell me what their first principle is--so we can examine their presuppositions, which will affect how they view...
Quote: Originally Posted by Smokering I can prove that it follows logically from my first principle, if you like (although so far I've heard nobody object that the Bible doesn't teach the existence of moral absolutes, so I've seen no reason to defend that statement). Does your hypothesis follow logically from your first principle; and more to the point, what is your first principle? Sorry, but when it comes to a discussion on evolution,...
Sorry to be gone from this thread so long. I've been quite busy. I've taken some pains to reconstruct this conversation so that the context of my replies is clear. Quote: Originally Posted by Smokering Quote: Originally Posted by Trillian This part of your quote does not follow as written: Quote: Originally Posted by Smokering reducing the mind to physical phenomena necessitates that we reduce logical inference,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Thao Oh dear. Smokering, I know you feel the disconnect we are having as much as we do, but I honestly don't get the feeling you are genuinely trying to understand our arguments. Your assertions are as unsubstantiated and as rooted in unproven presuppositions as ours are but you don't see it. For example, you think that it would require "serious evidence" to accept the proposition that God is above logic, but have no...
Quote: Originally Posted by Smokering Well, that's nice to know, but on what philosophical basis? This part of your quote does not follow as written: Quote: reducing the mind to physical phenomena necessitates that we reduce logical inference, reasons, intentions, and decisions to physical phenomena as well—and thus remove their causal role as inference, reasons, intentions, and decisions from events which are clearly caused by...
Quote: Originally Posted by Smokering I believe there is a correlation between the brain and the mind--a very close correlation--but that they are not identical. This is another huge topic which is kind of outside the scope of this thread, but simply put, reducing thoughts or concepts to physical processes eliminates their intentionality ('aboutness'), which ultimately means that logical thought is impossible. As my husband put it on his blog, 'The fact...
Quote: Originally Posted by csrabine I really wish we could do family dinners, but it just isn't realistic for us. I'm waiting to get flamed for this :, but I don't see how else to make it work for two parents that WOHM... DH and I both WOHM. We are both home by about 6 pm and have a late dinner together around 8 pm (sometimes later). If DS is hungry, he can snack (and I do also), but he still has to sit at the dinner table with us while we...