or Connect

Posts by Trillian

Quote: Originally Posted by mamabadger Are you implying there is something wrong with that? No, not at all. Sorry if it came out sarcastically, I didn't mean it that way. I think it's what we all do. I'm just saying I don't believe that there is one universal moral code, BUT that doesn't preclude believing something like pedophilia is wrong, even when other cultures do it. We are judging them according to our own morals, and that is unavoidable.
We do sit-down dinners every night. Usually we eat around 8pm. DS is allowed snacks as needed to get him through until then.
My DS has always been a night owl. As a newborn, I could not get him to sleep before midnight. These days (now 2yo) I aim for 10pm, but it is often later. Fortunately we have a flexible schedule and he can always sleep as late as he needs to. He never seemed to want or need as much sleep as the "typical baby" despite my best efforts. He sleeps about 9-10 hrs at night and 1-2 during the day. A friend's child the same age sleeps 15 hrs a day! I think there is a wide...
Quote: Originally Posted by Smokering It raises some interesting questions--however, ultimately it is based on the belief that it is possible that morality evolved (ie. has a physical origin). As I do not think it is possible for morality, a mental concept, to derive from physical conditions, the whole line of thinking is ultimately irrelevant (in which case, why did I bring it up in the first place, you might well ask?). Do you not believe...
Quote: Originally Posted by Smokering Why--what logical law do you believe this violates? I don't think it's a question of violating a logical law. It's a question of whether the existence of God can be observed and tested. Quote: Originally Posted by Smokering It sounds like you're using 'logical' to mean 'likely' or 'plausible'; which is an opinion, and an understandable one, but not an argument. Unless there's some...
I am a WOHM with a DS who is allergic to dairy, eggs, wheat, and peanuts. We are also waiting a few years to introduce treenuts and fish/shellfish because of the allergies we already know of, so those are off the menu too. Our food costs have definitely gone up because of this, but here is what helps: - We make 20/21 meals a week from scratch. (We get take out once a week, from the one place that doesn't use those ingredients.) We stagger our work schedules so that DH...
Quote: Originally Posted by Thao I'd be interested in knowing how you think it is flawed. From a scientific perspective, it's very rational. I am interested also. I do believe that morality (as well as all other aspects of our psyche) evolved to be as they are today.
Quote: Originally Posted by Smokering Are you using 'valid' to mean logically valid; or what? Because logical validity is not subjective; therefore, by definition, something cannot be 'true for you but not for me' (as I said in my original rant). The truth value of a statement depends on the assumptions, axioms, and observational data that you base your logic on. It is perfectly possible for two people to disagree on the "truth" of something...
Quote: Originally Posted by Peony Our next door neighbor is like this. Nice guy, but he made sure we knew he had a PhD, was a college professor, and wrote articles for the local paper. And then he was inquiring what degrees we had. DH never went to college, but he is a business owner and makes a good salary, I can guarantee it is more then what the local college pays. My experience is that most PhDs are not in it for the money. Very few...
Quote: Originally Posted by Smokering I still occasionally meet an acquaintance who'll ask what I've been doing for the last ten years, and then get big-eyed and say in awe 'Wow, you have a degree!'. Now I can understand saying that about a PhD in astrophysics, but a BA in English and Screen and Media from the less-than-auspicious university down the road? My PhD is in astrophysics, and I am sometimes embarrassed to mention it because of the...