or Connect

Posts by Trillian

Quote: Originally Posted by Brigianna I think that there should not be external, allegedly "objective" standards of what is a disorder or not. Fair enough. I disagree, mostly as a matter of practicality. I think that while such classifications are necessarily imperfect, it is still useful as long as we are dealing with the current system of medicine and health insurance. I just accept the terminology as a bureaucratic tool and recognize that...
Quote: Originally Posted by monkey's mom But if you're saying that you CHOOSE not to CURE your child or yourself of something, there is an inherent implication that there is some healing or restoration that COULD occur. And if that restoration could occur, then I think it's disingenious to state that this is the natural state and it should be accepted. Actually, I think that when using the word "cure" in that context, people are referring to...
Quote: Originally Posted by acannon I'm of the mindset that most people would be fine with the way they look if it wasn't for the media depicting how people are "supposed" to look. Usually, people think they look fine until they see airbrushed pictures in magazines and unnaturally skinny people on TV. If you don't have a model with which to compare yourself, it's a lot more likely that you'll think that you're normal and accept how you are. I...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kristine233 Yet, so many people here are against circumsicion based on the reason that an adult should not make the choice for the child. So based on the popularity of non-circ then we should not enforce Autism "cures" on children either. The difference is whether you consider something to be a disorder or not. I don't consider an intact penis to be a disorder, so of course I would not support "treating" it. Likewise...
Quote: Originally Posted by Brigianna My main objection is to the medical industry classifying autism as a disorder, and classifying other mental differences as disorders. This is not based on science. This is not based on anything objective. It's bigotry codified into medicine. I understand this POV, but I am curious - where do you draw the line between a "difference" and a "disorder"? Are there any mental differences that you consider...
Quote: Originally Posted by acannon Here's the thing, though: they choose to do that. When it no longer becomes a choice, then there's a problem. When what no longer becomes a choice? Under what circumstances? I think the decision to medicate/treat/cure should belong to the person in question except when that person is a child, judged mentally incompetent, or a danger to themselves or others. In those situations I am comfortable with giving...
Quote: Originally Posted by Brigianna The problem I have with this is that quality of life and relative happiness are often the result of environmental or situational causes rather than intrinsic way of being, or more accurately, the result of the conflict between one's natural way of being and one's situation, environment, or expectations. And the medical model of difference would suggest that the solution to this conflict is to change one's natural...
Quote: Originally Posted by monkey's mom Those aren't cures. Curing implies restoring or healing. If it can't be restored or healed, then it is what it is. If it CAN be, then there's some deviation from the normal state. This is circular reasoning. You are saying that something is not normal if it can be cured, and curing means being restored to "normal", which implies that you already know what "normal" is. Personally, I think the...
Quote: Originally Posted by applejuice Do not know how it will work without electricity and broadcasting over cable My guess is, not well.
Quote: Originally Posted by theatermom Are you *sure* that it was AF? I ask because while my pp bleeding basically stopped around 5 weeks, I had some bleeding off and on until around 7 weeks. It increased with activity level. I think, but am not at all certain, that any bleeding in the first 53 days is considered PP and not AF. Not the person to whom you asked this question, but I also got my first period at 6 weeks pp, despite exclusively...