or Connect

Posts by BeckC

We don't have kids yet, but when we do they will have DH's last name, which I took when we got married. It was the same way for me and my brother when we were growing up. DH's family however is complicated. DH's mom was married to his dad when he was born so he has his father's last name, it's never changed. Then they split up and she had a son with a different last name (I'm not sure what their last names were). Then she got married again and had a daughter with...
Our March NON DDC is up! And welcome to Armom and just_lily, our newest members.
This is a "Non Due Date Club" for all the Mamas waiting to adopt kiddos, whether newborn or older. We can share our stories, encourage each other while we wait and be patient (or not) for our little ones to arrive. Feel free to join in if you are waiting for a foster kiddo, a relative or an adoption in any stage. We're not trying to be exclusive at all. Mamas who don't have any kids yet but who are waiting to adopt or foster a kiddo are also welcome. Also feel free to...
Is the buckle on the outermost crotch strap position? Do you have the crotch pad on? If so taking it off could give her some more room in that area. As for the winter coat, she really can't wear it normally in the car. A couple things you could do would be to have her take it off and then put it on backwards over the harness after she's buckled up. Or, you could try the "coat trick" http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=29772 although keep in mind that if it's...
I almost forgot to update on us. Today is our 1 year anniversary of applying to our placing agency. We had to go to the DMV to get my in state license (we had just moved here a few months prior and I was still using my other state's license) and we had to go to the library to photocopy everything and then we went to the post office and dropped the application in the box. Then we celebrated with takeout. lol Four days ago marks 6 months since we've been waiting for...
Quote: Originally Posted by just_lily Not much activity in here this month! Everyone must be busy. Anyways, I would love to join the Non-DDC. We just sent off our initial application paperwork for Domestic Public Adoption in our province of Alberta. We currently feel drawn towards adopting a sibling group, but are open to that changing as we go through training and our home study. We had intended to start the process right after Christmas, but...
I doubt there was a lot of baby wearing going on in colonial times. I'm not basing that off of anything but a guess. I know that some cultures in developing nations are big on babywearing. I did read something recently in National Geographic though that leads me to believe that it's not an across the board popular solution. I was reading about a people where the popular practice seems to be to train their children not to cry by making small cuts on their cheeks...
I know this is long but I could really use some BTDT experience. We're starting to buy baby furniture right now so I need to figure out the plan before I go shopping. I know it may seem like I'm way overthinking this, but I'm a planner kind of person. I'm ok with re-evaluating when baby gets here, although we don't have the budget to try out a thousand different options. Please help me work through this. We have a queen size bed. It's not an option to upsize to a...
I've never heard of it mattering in domestic US adoption. I know that some countries have rules about BMI, but I'm not familiar with which ones (although I think I remember reading that China has a BMI rule). As for domestic, my BMI is over 40. We're adopting out of state and I contacted agencies in many states and I've not had a single person mention weight or BMI to me.
Growing up we had 4 people and one bathroom. I always asked (we all did) if anyone needed to use the bathroom quickly before I took a shower. Otherwise someone (my mom) would end up having to come in to pee while you were showering. Cause when you gotta go, you gotta go.