or Connect

Posts by ma_Donna

Hello, friends! My boys are now long out of diapers, but what I didn't learn from hands-on experience, I learned here at Mothering!   I'm helping coordinate the Great Cloth Diaper Change in Anchorage, and there's one in the Valley, too!   The Anchorage event will be held at the Baby and Toddler Expo at the Egan, with registration starting at 10:30. You can pre-register at the Alaskan Cloth site: http://alaskancloth.weebly.com/ It's also Kid's Day at the...
With Mothering's "Great Cloth Diaper Change", I thought that maybe it was time for a cloth diaper event here in Anchorage. I'm able to advocate a bit more than I used to as I'm now the recycling coordinator for the city :)   I know that Mothering is focusing on April, but although that's fine for warmer climes, I thought perhaps July would be a better fit for us when little diapered booties can run around unfettered by things like... pants!   I have a group of...
Absolutely for please, thank you, excuse me, I'm sorry, I don't care for (instead of I don't like), etc. It's mostly by modeling and if they make a rude demand for me to do something they need to rephrase it politley (and not just by sticking please on the end). We mostly do it with modeling, reminders, requests (When you ask for a cookie, please say please).   However, I think some parents go past polite to rude with their insistance on children. Although they're...
We've had a great experience with Dr. Penman. Great about no-circ, OK with no vacc for our youngest but the big thing for me was our first was hospitalized for jaundice and the nurses brought out a bottle of sugar water. Dr. Penman said "just nurse him" and nurse him I did! The one time I had an issue w/ my intact sons was one well baby visit a med student was doing the exam and said "now we'll pull back the foreskin and take a look" and I quickly said "no you don't". I...
It's pretty individual. We actually just took down the co-sleeper after 7.5 years. I added a 4" piece of foam so that the level of the co-sleeper was even with our queen bed (initally on rails then a bedframe), so it was a pretty seamless transition between the two. When they were infants I usually had them snuggled right up next to me, but when they got bigger the co-sleeper was their space and I leaned in to nurse them. This worked better for me to get a good night's...
My 7yo son 'adopted' Jenny when I brought her home from the school auction last spring. His younger brother 'adopted' Phia at Christmas 2 years ago when he was 2. My older had little interest in Phia at first and it was really the younger's doll. I've been quite surprised that my older took to a doll when he was older. My older son is very 'boy', loving all things trains, trucks, swords. My younger son can keep up with his brother, but also loves pink, Hello Kitty, the...
My 7yo still wets the bed. The other night he wore a fuzzibunz stuffed with a flat + hemp doubler that I bought for him when he was 6 months old (large) at the time they were a little loose around the legs for him and some other ones have a better leg fit at that age (for example, my first class fleece pocket). He is on the slim side. He's also wearing XL bummis covers.   Newborns definitely need a separate stash, but you only use them for a while and can resell...
I have no idea what we had on hand for Nathan's birth (4 years ago). I called the midwife about 6:30am and I don't think anyone was up for breakfast until after the delivery (quarter after 9) and I remember my husband made scrambled eggs (and probably some other stuff, too). The midwife and her assistant were out of there in time to go to lunch
Generally around the 8/9 week mark. This is my fifth pregnancy. My first pregancy was a blighted ovum, then 2 sons, then a 12 week miscarriage last spring. The last one I was trying to be all relaxed and easy and didn't have my first appointment until 11 weeks. This time around I'm more cautious again. I have the first appointment scheduled for 9 weeks and will ask for an ultrasound at that point (I already spoke to my midwife about it). We also talked about some early...
Zofran was key to the pregnancy with my first son - he's 7 and wonderful I only used it a little with my second son, but I think I was mostly afraid of what happened with the first & it didn't really kick in with the second. Good luck!