or Connect

Posts by saraann

Our oldest dog is 9. We got her at the pound at 13 weeks old. For the most part she likes to spend her time lazing around the house, sleeping in any sunny spot she can find. We have had some problems with aggression in the past and now are faced with an even bigger one. She is a fear biter and she is an alpha female when it comes to other dogs. She has gotten into dog fights in the past and has seriously injured one of our dogs who she was raised with on two...
I agree that it gets so much better as they get older. When you think about it all of those personality traits can be positives and will serve them well in whatever it is they decide that they want to do in life. It's just so hard to meet that level of intensity and demand from someone who can't yet do what they want to do on their own yet. I was so excited when dd learned to crawl because it meant that she could get to what she wanted, position herself the way she...
I just knew that my dd was going to be the mellowest baby ever. She was going to take long naps and just be a happy, content, snuggly little baby. ....sigh She cried a lot and her cries went from 0 to 60 in a less then a second. If she wanted something she wanted it right now and she was very particular about everything. I remember trying to nurse her in a rocking chair when she was a couple of months old and she was getting so mad. I finally turned the rocking...
I wonder why people keep saying over and over that the OP is holding her child down when she explains here that she is holding her in her arms soothing, kissing and rocking her. Quote: Originally Posted by sisteeesmama I really want to get across the idea that I am not holding down to a bed or anything crazy like that, I am just holding her in my arms when she is VISIBLY tired and when she tries to get down I just don't let her and she does get mad...
I just recently weaned my 3 year old. I was just tired and decided it was time. I started right around her 3rd birthday and she was done 4 months later. We were already down to nursing at bedtime, nap time and in the morning. I started by talking with her about how I was feeling that it would soon be time to be done with nursing. I talked with her about this fairly often. Next I cut down the time she could nurse. It went from however long she wanted to 5 minutes and...
Quote: Originally Posted by gcgirl Aletha Solter has a couple of books about this subject: The Aware Baby and Tears and Tantrums. She recommends allowing children to cry as a way to relieve stress, although she is very clear that you should NEVER LET A CHILD CRY ALONE and always hold your child in a comfortable and safe place where the child can feel safe letting out strong emotions. Personally, I agree. It's been wonderful for DS to help him relieve...
Quote: Originally Posted by mommymel If I have some intolerances, can that affect him too? I don't get gas but I do get skin rashes from wheat and tomato. I'm also a little sensitive to dairy but not as much as when I was a teen. Since you have a sensitivity or allergy to wheat and tomatoes, I would suspect that those could also be causing problems for your DS. I know that it's difficult to avoid a bunch of food but if you can manage, it might...
So it is a stage that most kids go through? When it happens I put her on my lap and talk with her about it and then talk with her again once we leave and are alone, and I talk with her prior to get togethers with other kids. I know that she can understand the words that I'm saying but I don't think she really gets it. In the moment she seems to be running on pure emotion, unable to control her knee-jerk reactions. I'm rarely around other kids her exact same age and so...
DD will be 3 in a few months. She's a very sensitive, intense, high needs kind of girl. Lately she's been particularly difficult with other kids. She pushes, she shoves, she yells and tries to physically take toys out of other kids hands. She's also very bossy. I'm wondering if this is developmental? Do most kids go through this? I'm so frustrated with the behavior, it is no fun getting together with other kids. It just ends in frustration, for both of us. I'm...
She sounds a lot like my dd who is now almost 3. You mentioned reflux, have you looked into food intolerance? I finally put two and two together when my dd was almost a year old and took her off of all dairy. Her sleep and her mood improved drastically. Don't get me wrong, she is still a very sensitive, sassy and demanding girl but there was a major change in her mood and her sleep once I removed dairy from our diets. Hugs, it's hard.