or Connect

Posts by mom2mich

Quote: Originally Posted by mamajake Everyone should feel free to nurse in the way they feel most comfortable, I will absolutely not condemn that. My decision not to cover had nothing to do with the message I would send. Whether to respect the dominent "morality" of your community is an absolutely personal decision. I have traveled to places where I knew the sight of my wrists and ankles was morally offensive and I covered up out of respect for the...
Been thinking again (that can be a problem) and from what I've seen, several people who start out nursing do not go to La Leche meetings or call La Leche because they do not feel comfortable with the group given its reputation of being so-called extreme. I never realized it had this reputation until I started hearing comments from people after I got pregnant. I am wondering how this reputation came to be and how to help people feel more comfortable with the group. I...
I find that "going back to work continuing to bf" is a very important lactivism topic that seems to be often overlooked. I found this after a quick search. Just skimmed bits and pieces so far, but it seems to have some resources: http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/pdf/BF_guide_2.pdf
My friend has very mainstream views on breast feeding and I know she did not thoroughly research her decision not to nurse, but the lactivist in me wants to get in there and show her some good resources. I just want to know that she had the right information in order to make an informed decision. Whatever I say to her, I will have to tread very lightly as she seems very set on her decision not to bf and was not open to talking further about her decision. I know that she...
Thank you all for the suggestions! Unfortunately, she would not consider donor milk. I know she has a lot of misinformation as she has made lots of false, negative bf comments to me before she was pregnant. I will do my best to work on this educational information with her from Hale and Newman. Thanks for the information. I hope she is willing to give it some thought and talk about it with me. (The information in my original post is all she would tell me when I asked...
A pregnant friend of mine says she has to use formula because she has to go back on prozac after the baby is born and is not comfortable with any antidepressants passing through her breastmilk, even though she knows many do it safely. (By the way I know nothing of this topic so if anyone thinks this is not an informed decision, please let me know and I will try and help educate her.) This got me to thinking about the awful formula companies and just thinking of ever...
Never mind, now the answer to my question seems obvious. (I was just asking about the wording celebration of "arrival" v "birth".)
Welcome! So sorry you had to go through all of that. It is just not fair. Hope you have luck very soon!
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. It gives me a lot to think about. I won't be seeing SIL for a month and she is not due until the fall so I have time to figure it out.
My SIL has sisters who ff their children by choice after bfing a few weeks. My SIL is pg for the first time and has decided to ff because she believes it's not worth the trouble/inconvenience to breast feed. Before I had child she frequently made snide comments to me about public breast feeders and about LLL (being lame and radical). Since then she sees me nurse my toddler and is not one to make waves in our relationship. She does not act offended or uncomfortable...