or Connect

Posts by Very Snoofly

The infant stage was physically hard. Each year, though, seems to become more difficult emotionally for me. My oldest is 6.5 and we're dealing with things like disagreements with her friends and personality conflicts with her teachers (and her father, actually). I can't imagine that any of that is going to get easier, especially when she starts worrying about boys. And body image. And peer pressure. And so forth. My youngest is 3, and while I'm not crazy about the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruthla I don't see it as "dropping out". I see it as being flexible and learning when to step away from something that isn't working out for you. I'm not sure how to make a 6yo open up- but it does sound like she's afraid of your response, that "I don't like it there" won't be a good enough reason for you to let her back out, so she makes up reasons that, in her mind, will seem valid to you. Yes, I do want to offer...
I signed my 6-year-old daughter up for two activities this summer. The first was Vacation Bible school, two weeks ago. M went the first two days and was very unforthcoming when we questioned her about what they did and how she liked it . (For the record, I attended a parents meeting about VBS before it started, so I knew what the program was about and knew many of the people running it, so I was fairly confident that she'd have a good time and knew that she'd be in good...
Oh, that's awesome -- makes me think of The Westing Game, my all-time favorite children's book.
Quote: Originally Posted by TattoMomK LMAO -- good advice. Am I one of the blessed few whose MIL's not only encourage breastfeeding, but are darn proud of it? My MIL is very supportive of breastfeeding. That said, I still left the room any time I needed to nurse my girls, because it gave me a chance to take a break from everyone! My ILs and extended family are very loud, gregarious people and I can only take them in small doses. I'm kind of...
Heels on little girls used to bother me a lot too...until my second daughter, who's almost 3, developed some amazingly strong clothing preferences. For the past three months, she has refused to wear anything but dresses, and they have to be certain kinds of dresses at that (can't be knit, have to button up the back with a ribbon to tie, have to have a certain amount of flounce, have to be a floral print) -- she refuses, to the point of screaming tantrums, to wear anything...
Quote: Originally Posted by jessitron Yes, carpooling 3 days per week is a good idea. That's what I've been doing, and it's great. It's good to have a couple days a week with a car to run errands. If you work that extra hour on carpool days, can you cut out even earlier on the days you don't carpool? Actually that's a good idea...I don't know why I was thinking of this as an all-or-nothing thing. I'll just have to sit down and work out the...
My company just moved across town; my commute is now about 30 minutes rather than about 45. Hooray! In addition, my office is about 10 minutes away from the office where my sister-in-law works. SIL lives about 10 minutes from my house. It occurred to us both that we should carpool in the summer, when I don’t have to take my kids to school in the morning (my husband is a teacher and stays home with them). The pros to carpooling are, obviously, saving gas and saving...
Me too. I've been at my job for 12 years. It's not a job I ever particularly wanted and I've never found it fulfilling. The problem is that I now have all the perks that come with seniority -- loads of vacation time, vested pension, great healthcare -- in fact, if I stay here just 8 more years, I'll have guaranteed healthcare benefits after I retire. So financially, it's not worth it to leave. But oh, I just hate leaving my kids every day for this. And I hate thinking of...
My daughter has gone to a slew of birthday parties this year. I'd say that of those that were not at someone's home -- ie at a bowling alley, or bounce-house type place -- had the pizza, chips, cake, and lemonade menu (no sodas, though). Those at the kids' homes had healthier fare -- fruit and veggie trays, crackers instead of chips. My daughter had a "tea party" at which we served pb&j sandwiches, fresh strawberries, baby carrots, and cake -- and we're pretty "mainstream"...