or Connect

Posts by nmouse

I second pretty much everything JeanetteHannah said. I have a picky 2-year-old too, and I have had to learn what to do and what not to do.   Above all, be patient. Abandon airplane and any other "make them eat" game, because it does more harm than good, by taking away his choice to listen to his appetite and decide what goes into his body. Remember that nutrition is not over one day, but more like over a span of days. A toddler will eat only a tiny amount for a handful...
We're doing co-op preschool one morning a week. It's offered through the local community college, and the parents stay there with the kids. We see the same kids, same parents, same teacher every week, so it's nice that way. Maybe your community has something similar?   Sometimes neighborhood associations also have preschool. Or you might have a childcare co-op you could join to get that sort of community. Good luck!
@rubidoux - There is a ton of fat love available from the community of amazing people who attend NOLOSE. If you like what the NOLOSE site is all about, you might like to join their Facebook group, Fatlandia, though membership is mainly intended for people who are going to or have been to a NOLOSE conference (which I highly, highly recommend).   There is also a Fat Studies group on Yahoo that is run from a fat acceptance perspective, tho it is purposed toward supporting...
It's been almost a year since I posted on here! My baby is ten months old and we are looking at getting him a frame pack carrier (maybe a Deuter) for walks. I am not wild about going frame pack, but we want to back carry and I am concerned about using the Ergo that I have. Here are my concerns, and I am hoping that you larger mommas can talk about them:   1) I have a large, wide back, so when I get my baby up there his legs are practically doing the splits, going out...
  I am looking for advice from other moms with sleep apnea who breastfeed.  My son and I have had a really rough time with breastfeeding. He was born with a  tongue tie and some structural issues that prevent him transferring milk, and I am now taking herbals & domperidone and pumping for low supply, in addition to getting Bowen therapy for my son so he can draw milk better. I don't have a full milk supply, I can make maybe 3/4 to 4/5 of what he needs, but even the...
thanks for the suggestions. I drank some beer but then stopped when I read in the Sears book that alcohol actually decreases supply. Maybe I will start again.   I've been taking Motherlove More Milk Plus and also Goat's Rue. The Milk Plus has fenugreek & blessed thistle.    Unfortunately I can't cosleep with my son because I have sleep apnea and everything I've read says not to when you have sleep apnea. We snuggle skin on skin when I am awake and not stuck to my...
My son was born at 37 weeks and needed breastmilk right away to stabilize low blood sugar. He nursed on my doula and has been getting donated breast milk ever since. He wasn't able to latch on my flat, non-stretchy nipples at all, even with a nipple shield, so we used the natural flow bottle. Now at almost 3 weeks old, he nurses that bottle pretty well, though very slowly.    Meanwhile I have low prolactin and low supply, prolactin tested repeatedly since day 8...
Shonahsmom congrats on your baby! My midwife and her apprentice today told me that they have had 10 and 9 pound babies, respectively, and they are each very small women without GD. They also said that a bigger baby can be a bit easier to take care of, less fragile temp-wise. It looks like I might have a larger-than-average baby myself despite all the dietary care, exercise, & daily pep talks to this baby about how he should keep growing but not too much, so I'm glad I...
Those of you who are just starting RRL near the end of pregnancy, how strong are you making it? Right now I boil a quart of water with a tablespoon of RRL with a scant tablespoon of nettle and a half tablespoon of alfalfa and let it sit 30 minutes before I strain, but I am wondering if I should make it stronger or swap out the nettle when I get to 36 weeks. 
I had been having a lot of worry about transverse because I've read it is more common in women who have a septate uterus, which I have. However, at my most recent prenatal he was vertex and low in the pelvis. Yay! This is what they said at the 30 week ultrasound too before he changed back to transverse, but now I'm 34, so I hope he just stays. When I walk around he feels like a bowling ball in my low belly.