or Connect

Posts by nmouse

Thanks everyone for answers and suggestions.   Anna Phor, we're a male-female unmarried couple, planning to remain that way, and we're considering giving the child a name that is unique to him, not either of ours. It's important to us that one partner not give up her birth name for the other partner's, and at this time neither of us really wants to change the name we are known by professionally and among friends. We will either keep our names unchanged or else change...
Jeannine that is the same thing we are thinking of doing! I have been trying to get information about options, and in many places I have seen women posting about how they kept their birth name at first but are thinking of changing it to be the same as their child & child's father "to make things easier." I could never find very many specifics about what things would be easier, though one person mentioned hassles signing kids out from school with different names. But it...
Do any of you Portland area people have suggestions for gyms I could go to as a visitor a few times that wouldn't charge me a ton to use their cardio equipment or pool?   I am visiting family in Tigard and I would like to keep up my pregnancy exercise. I have a Y membership in my home in California, but no one in my family has one in Portland.   Thanks!    
I am declining the test. I don't think it's healthy and I suspect it leads to misdiagnoses. I took the 3 hour test ages ago when I wasn't pregnant but had borderline blood sugars, and it was horrible on all the pregnant women around me who weren't allowed to eat even though they were starving. One of them just ate anyway. Also the sugar water tasted terrible. These days I have excellent blood sugar from exercise, low stress and nutrition, and my midwife doesn't insist on...
Normally we fly across country to spend Thanksgiving with friends, but this year we'll stay put and let just a few of my closest friends come to us (maybe, if I feel like it) to help out after the baby comes.   For Christmas my family might visit & stay in a hotel, and partner's mom might visit and stay with us a little... not sure. It seems so far away! We have a small apartment with one bathroom so I am not wild about having any guests who are not super easy to...
I have anterior placenta too. I didn't feel anything until about 21 weeks, and then it was just little nudges. Especially noticeable when my bladder was full though. Now I"m 24 weeks and the baby is kicking much more noticeably, particularly in the evenings. The mw says the baby "outgrows" the placenta and then is easier to doppler and easier to feel.
I had the same thing yesterday. My CNM says that since my amniotic fluid levels are fine, the dilation just means the baby hadn't peed yet right then. But obviously he's peeing just fine b/c if he weren't the amniotic fluid wouldn't be normal, since I guess it's got a lot of pee in it... yum. Also this dilation is normal for boys, is what they say. but the u/s folks told me to come in again in six weeks. I am on the fence about doing this. I hate going for u/s but it...
I started out wanting to minimize my ultrasounds too, but I had the NT at 13 weeks and then decided to get an anatomy at 24. I'm planning a homebirth and it seemed like there was more risk to not knowing about something important like a heart defect than there was to getting one more ultrasound to make sure everything is ok. I think ultrasound does real good diagnostically, and its harm is not at all proven.   That said, I would not let the tech spend a long time...
I agree about blood sugar and pressure not being controlled by weight. There is plenty of good research out there that says these issues are much more linked to genetics and to environmental factors such as stress, exercise and nutrition. I hope it didn't sound like I was saying something else in my previous post! I believe the "weight causes X" idea persists so firmly in the public (and lots of doctors' minds) only because we are forever forgetting that correlation is...
Hi all. I am in the throes of figuring out what my baby's last name should be when he is born this fall, and one of the options I'm considering is changing my legal name so it can be the same as the baby's. My partner is considering the same thing, and we haven't decided which if either of us will make a change, but we think it might be important to have legal names that are the same as our baby, so that we never find ourselves shut out of seeing him at the emergency...