or Connect

Posts by tessie

Yes, this is pretty much what was irritating me. Different methods of education suit different people and one type isn't automatically superior or inferior on a global basis. It should be about what works for each individual child.Obviously, if I've misinterpreted any posts then do feel free to ignore my mild irritation.
I think you're right in that it isn't a source of iron.At this point I'd be concerned that you'e not going to have the energy to get through labor and the pp period. Is there really nobody you can see? If not, I really would advise trying a better source of iron.Hope you start to feel better soon. I do sympathise. When I had low iron post baby even a short walk felt like a mile uphill in a foot of snow. It definitely made the pp sleep deprivation harder to cope with.
I am well aware of the point. What makes you think that I didn't also have opportunity to do things on my own terms? Why assume that formal education has turned me into a zombie, unable to think for myself?      
It might be worth getting your levels checked? If you don't want to take normal iron supplements then Floradix is supposed to be very good and has the bonus of not being constipating.
  I can say as I know myself pretty well. ;) I was one of those kids who needed to be pushed to achieve, particularly when it was something I perceived as difficult or boring. I needed direction and a deadline. Still do. Leave me to my own devices and I'll meander along and never get anything done. But then one educational philosophy can't fit all. :)      
Are kids supposed to sit still without entertainment? Conversation around the table should be encouraged but it's not generally enough to keep a small child engaged. Even when I was a kid my mother always had a few things in her bag to keep us amused, be it pen and paper, a pack of cards, book etc. I do the same for DD now. And when I've been through everything then I resort to letting her play with the drawing app on my (non iphone) phone.        
Exactly this!  
  I think we're pretty much splitting hairs. The reading/maths skill needs to be there early on to be able to develop the interest further.   I agree that a skill learned because it's of interest to you will be more meaningful than once you're forced to learn - at least at the time of learning. But then some things you learn because you're advised you ought to learn them turn out to be jolly useful later on. I'm thinking of my sighs over yet another Friday morning times...
    When I mentioned knitting it was because when I wanted to learn, way back when, I had to go to the library and borrow a book or three. We still don't have a yarn store here, just one general craft store with a small selection of wool and nobody on hand to advise. As it happens, even now I have had advice from a real life knitter AND watched online tutorials, I still suck. I enjoy craft, but my toddler's projects look better than mine. ;) But had I been any good at...
But they are the building blocks of education. Without them you cannot fully develop the majority of other skills. Sure, you don't need to be able to read or do maths to ride a bike, or garden, but if you want to learn to knit, or take a chemistry class, then they are skills you will need. And I'll hazard a guess that maths beyond simple addition would have been useful in industrial arts. Unschooling is an interesting philosophy, and I love the idea of kids following...