or Connect

Posts by Leta

Ok, I know, weird title... could go in Decluttering or F&F, so I'm just sticking it general MH... Before Gutenberg perfected the printing press, books were luxury items. Each one was laboriously crafted, copied and sewn by hand by an educated, literate person- a member of the elite. Most people would never a own a single book, let alone several. When the printing press began churning out books, three things happened right away: the price of books fell sharply, the...
Well, something to consider is that, in many of the central western states, the population is at the about the same levels that it was around the time of the Civil War. Giant farms that are mostly mechanized feed food producers and animal feedlots, but don't support a lot of people- neither families nor staff. Another way to put it would be to say that nobody goes there looking for work. The fifteen people who support the fifty people who live in that county know...
I found this link helpful.
I forgot to add... when we were first adjusting to the debit-card-solely-for-online-purchases mode, we copied down our debit card #, expriy date, and the 3 digit security code on the back, and kept it in our desk. Then we cut up that card, too. This way, we could make online debit purchases, but NO other ones- it wasn't even an option.
OP, I worked at a bank, and once I got married I added DH to my employee account. I got him a debit card. We would do the EXACT SAME THING that you described and I was in my account every day at work! It is just too hard to keep track of two different hands grabbing out of the same pile of money. I'd move money from savings in the nick of time to cover bouncy debits, but we still went in the red WAY TOO OFTEN. We kept one debit card (for online purchases- we are...
We have had this same problem, for, oh, almost five years now. After impatiently waiting and trying lots of things, we have decided to buy a flat screen with an HDMI port, a surround sound system (one box that is a DVD/CD player as well as an amp/receiver, plus speakers) and a bare bones Dell Zino. Then will get an HDMI cable to hook the computer to the TV, the TV will be hooked to the surround sound system via included cables, and we'll hook the surround sound to the...
We don't do envelopes. We tried, but we failed. We pay bills twice a month (on payday). DH gets paid by direct deposit, and we have online bill pay. $200 automatically goes into eTrade savings (this is escrow- homeowner's, car insurance and tags, property taxes, and pellets for heat come out of this, with a couple grand left over at the end of the year for emergencies), and the rest into checking. Out of every paycheck, $625 is spoken for. We budget (monthly)...
My family obligations do not extend to deadbeat MIL husbands. It would be different if he were really your DH's stepdad who raised him or something. But he isn't. He's your MIL's husband. It's not the same thing.
I give myself $350 a month to spend on household stuff. This is our grocery budget, yes, but other stuff too. I play a game with myself to see how far under the $350 I can keep it. Once in a while, like this month, I skip my giant monthly stock up grocery trip and live off the stockpile (except for dairy and produce, obviously) when the pantry goes from "full" to "stuffed". So... here's the cost break down, with only one week left in January: The Good: (Total...
When we moved about 4 years ago, we didn't have a checking account (we did have a savings, so we could cash DH's pay checks). We had to buy stamps and money orders at the P.O. to pay bills. This was time consuming, annoying, and expensive. We stayed with this system for awhile, though, and shopped around to find a good financial institution for our situation. We found one: a credit union with no minimums and low fees. Well, you have to have a savings account to...