or Connect

Posts by Leta

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here... I'm a Ramseyite. I don't care about my credit rating. As in, I don't give a rat's patoot. You're credit only matters if you want to borrow money. Since I don't want to borrow money, I do not care. In the case of our house, we basically had no credit, but we had a 20%+ down payment and a good, steady, reliable income. We got an interest rate of under 5% at a local credit union that manually underwrote our mortgage. ...
I haven't read this whole thread, but... -I know personally know three people who have severely repressed childhood memories. As in, months and years just *gone* from their memories. -Two of these people (my dad and my SIL)I know for a fact were sexually abused as children. How do I know? Because they both sexually abused other children. In both cases, it was a younger, opposite sex sibling. -Neither my dad nor SIL realizes they were sexually abused. I...
Oh, totally, Shay! I didn't mean to say that it's easy to make soap, or that it's cheap upfront to make the switch to cloth everything. Cripe, between microfiber towels, mama cloth, family cloth, very basic cloth dipes, Shmop heads, and cloth napkins, I bet we have $400 invested. This was done over time, some of it was gifts, but there a lot of people who just don't have the money to spend. Heck, there are people who don't have enough money to buy dishes, and are...
Oh, good, I'm glad you are with Greenpath. I used to live near you, I worked at a bank and many people got money orders for Greenpath every month. One day, with a very regular customer, I made a joke that Greenpath must hate personal checks, and she told me they were a "get out of debt" non-profit, and that no, they didn't take checks, and how wonderful they were. After that, I'd say to customers once it while, "Yeah, I hear good things about Greenpath," and TO A...
Yeah, now if you want to convert food stamp money to buy things like dental floss and Qtips it's a lot more complicated than saving your coin change. But there are still a few legal ways to do it. You need to shop at places like Walgreen's or Target that give you rebates or gift cards for certain food items. I buy all my WIC stuff at a supermarket called EconoFoods that gives you "Baby Bucks"- basically, if you buy any specific baby items, your entire order counts...
If it were me, and I had $8000, I'd buy a bare bones Nissan Versa. I'd order one- don't buy off the lot. If you haftahaftahafta have AC and power windows, yeah, you're probably looking at $12K instead of $10K. But if you bought the $10K car, you'd have about $3000 left to pay ($2000 difference, plus tax, title, etc.), which, when you figure in interest, would give a payment of about $275/mo for a year.
KITS, desktops don't suck a ton of energy. It's monitors that are the energy suckers. If you want to go really low-e, you can get a preconfigured thin client off eBay for around $80 (that's what we did). But, when you add up the MJ ($40), the thin client ($80) and powered USB hub ($20), you're only saving about $60-$80 over the price of the ooma. (We got the MJ b/c we could buy things a piece at a time and didn't have to lay out $200 all at once. Plus, we wanted to...
Pumpkin Pie, am I missing something? You are in VT... why would you and your DS need passports to go to WA?
The short answer is yes. The long answer is it depends. DH is a baker by trade, and does most of the baking around here. (I'm just the dishwasher, .) We buy organic whole grain flours thru a restaurant, and yeast, oats, and raw honey in bulk thru our co-op, olive oil from the restaurant supply store. Our cost is ~$1 per 1.5# loaf, plus utilities, bread bags (4c/ea), and our time. DH has been desperately ill (off work all week) at the same time that our freezer...
Well, I know that they are selling for $2500 in India, and $6500 in the UK. (They have the VAT there, so that puts you up to around $7K out the door, but we don't have that sort of tax in the U.S.) If you Google "Tata Nano U.S. price", you get everything from "$2300" to "more than $2500" to "up to $8000". So clearly, it remains to be seen. Honestly, I think Mr. Tata is too smart to let the car be sold for more than about $6K in the U.S. He did what everyone said...