or Connect

Posts by Leta

First, it's cool that you have a Sabra. DS was supposed to be Sabrah Maleta, but he fooled seven ultrasound techs and was born a boy, . We ditched the landline. I'm like you, I'm kind of old school, and I want people to be able to call our house, not just us. Can you get high speed internet? We have dry loop DSL for $20/mo (AT&T) and a magicJack ($20/yr). magicJack doesn't do number porting at all, so we also have a Google Voice account- one number for the rest...
We moved from Washtenaw County, Michigan (called "flyover Berkeley" a lot) to Marquette County, Michigan. Food is cheaper, housing is MUCH cheaper, gas is more expensive, electricity is a litte more expensive, fuel to heat is about the same for hydrocarbons, cheaper for biomass. Cars are more expensive because they don't last as long, so used cars are $$$ unless you shop out of area. Insurance is much cheaper. It has been completely worth it. My husband makes...
OP, if you want to do as the pp suggested, I'll help you write the cover letter. I've written professionally in the past. No, I won't charge you anything. PM me if you're interested.
Signing Time is wonderful. When DD was just 2, and had just started speech, she had all of 4 words. Between Signing Time and signing therapy, she had a signing vocabulary of over 100 words in less than 6 months. ASL is truly her first language. And, after she started signing, verbal speech came amazingly quickly. So, yeah, I think you got quite the deal.
Quote: Originally Posted by dachshundqueen I understand that some people's only income is food stamps, which is intensely discouraging, but many times it seems we're discussing food stamps as a supplement to family income. Liz I think it's important to understand that SNAP, unlike other public assistance programs, is a huge deal for agribusiness and food suppliers. Huge. Even after welfare reform, FS was expanded. GWB expanded it further...
Always, have you considered traveling to Mexico? I know it would be a pain, especially with two LOs, but my grandma went to Mexico for dental work that would have cost $20K+ in the U.S., and she spent $3K in Mexico. Just a thought.
My response is, "It's not entirely a matter of luck". Because it's not. Were we lucky? Yep. Was it also a matter of agressive planning? Yep.
We are on the baby food gravy train thanks to the new WIC packages. I get 95(!) jars of baby food per month for the little dude, 30 of which are baby meats. I'm a vegetarian, so I'm not going to feed my LO the baby meats. I wasn't going to get the meats at all, but DH pointed out that 2oz glass jars would be perfect for pesto next year, so I got the baby meats for the first time last month. Since I need to clean out the jars, I've been letting my dog serve as the...
MiFi is a little USB dongle from Verizon. You plug it in to your laptop or phone or whatever and have mobile internet. I think it's $40/mo. I haven't used it, and the reviews I've read are mixed, but supposedly it's better than smartphone data plans because you can move it from one device to another, and you aren't killing your battery to leave your iPhone on so you can receive email.
Full time students get priority, so when he fills out his FAFSA, he should *always* mark down that he intends to go full time. If he gets a full Pell (which is around $2200 per semester) and then he only signs up for a couple classes, they will prorate his Pell grant. That works something like this: if 12 credits or more is full time (100%), he'll get 100% of his Pell. If he takes 2 classes at 3 credits per class, that's half time (50%), so he should get around...