or Connect

Posts by mommajam

I would love it if you would describe what the infection looked like and send us a picture here... just for my own knowledge so that if I ever see anything like it on my own babies I might know better what to do.    And I so empathize with what you went through.  One of my children developed a fever of about 102 when he was 10 days old and the nurse was very alarmed and sent us to the hospital where we were admitted.  I very well remember watching them poke and prod...
It may be too late at this point, judging from the date of your post, but in case other people are reading and wondering, I am about 6 feet tall.  I've had a water birth in a nice big tub at the birth center, one in a fishy pool and one in the Birth Pool In a Box.  Being in the water at the birth center was nice, but the fishy pool was better than that.  However, being as tall as I was, it really didn't cover as much belly/back as I wanted.  The remedy was that my...
LOL! I just realized your post is from May! Well, my post certainly won't have helped you in any way. :) I would like to find out what happened in the end, so I do hope I can find a post that updates your story. :) Hope all went well!
Unless you can work out something with your old midwife, or find another midwife, then I 'second' the idea of keeping your current midwife just in case and for the postpartum care.  I was in a situation where my options seemed to be accept an intervention I disagreed with at the birth center, or go to the hospital and refuse it, or have the baby by myself at home (midwife at home was not an option at all at that point).  I decided to set myself all up for a UC, but kept...
I am a mother of six, currently expecting my seventh child.  I have been nursing non-stop since my first child was born 11 years ago.  I have tandem nursed for most of that time.  Typically, soon after I get pregnant again and the nipple soreness kicks in, I would end up weaning the older child but continue nursing the younger one all the way through. By that point the older one was usually around three year old. So, really, there have been several pregnancies where I...
I get this comment a lot, and have gotten it ever since around my third or fourth child. Not being a particularly witty person, I just reply with my honest point of view.  They say "My, you have your hands full!" and I say, "Yes! In the BEST way possible!" and give my biggest smile. Most people who say it do seem to be saying it in some sort of positive light (either obviously delighting in the children, or just jokingly) and they seem to like this answer. It IS funny to...
Out of curiosity, I was wondering what was so horrible about your unplanned unassisted homebirth?  I am interested in hearing the story.  I had one, but it was wonderful, but would like to hear what other experiences have been like.  I have to say that mine might be different, too, because I had expected the possibility and so was mentally and physically (meaning, had supplies on hand) ready in case. In reality, it was prompted by a very similar case as you have right...
I am not a frequent visitor to this forum.  I have had one UC.  For the sake of privacy and protection, IRL I tend to play it off as a totally unplanned UC, but in reality it was planned UC with the possibility of going elsewhere should I change my mind or think it necessary.  That was in 2007.  I don't know about the changes that have taken place since then since, as I said, I have rarely visited after that child was born.  What i can say is how much I appreciated the...
I have found that all of my six children went through something around 15 to 16 months where their night waking was frequent and they wanted to nurse for extended periods of time.  I usually can sleep through nursing until they reach around one year old. Then their suckle starts to change and after that I cannot sleep through it.  Still, it is usually not too bad... until they reach this age. With most of them I have been able just to bear through it and by around 17 or...
I am seriously interested in you're project and would LOVE to have the info you want to share. I am about to start nursing school inJanuary at which time my youngest will be only 5 months old. Anything and everything you can share with me would be appreciated. Thanks!