or Connect

Posts by srain

I, too, don't iron, and am careful not to buy clothes that require it. I only make beds if we're having guests who will be in the bedrooms. I only wash curtains if they're obviously dirty (hasn't happened in most of the rooms of our house in the five years we've lived here). I don't keep the car clean. I don't pick up kids' toys unless they're bothering me. I only change the tablecloth/ napkins when absolutely necessary. I only decorate for holidays if my kids are excited...
Quote: Originally Posted by afishwithabike This may sound utterly ridiculous BUT I didn't even think of that. I am so used to the electronic age that I hadn't even given it a thought. That's why I brought it up- I think most people forget! And while they can be time consuming, for people with typical situations (a few W-2's, a few bank accounts, maybe a house) they are VERY do-able if you're just willing to read the instructions. I wouldn't be...
If I didn't have family/ friends who could take me in (which, thankfully, I do), I'd be getting a job immediately. I'd also be applying for any public benefits I could get and getting everything I could from food banks, charities, and the dumpster behind the grocery store.
Our sources for vegan kid AND adult shoes are usually either cheap stores like Payless, Converse high tops, or L.L. Bean which markets a few non-leather shoes as water-friendly. I have wide feet, which makes it ESPECIALLY hard to find anything- at one point I ordered virtually every vegan casual shoe that came in wide widths from Zappos to try to find some that fit me, and ended up with only one not-so-great pair. It's awful!
Quote: Originally Posted by minkajane The thing that stuck out to me was the author's insistance that both eye ointment and vaccinations were absolutely 100% mandated by law, which most MDCers know is NOT true. It is so incredibly sad that even a self-professed anarchist libertarian doesn't know that he has the legal right to refuse any and all medical treatments and interventions on behalf of his children. In NY, eye ointment IS mandated by...
Also, everyone should remember- filling out the forms on paper yourself is always free!
I am, but no one else in the family is willing to. I only use it for pee- my kids are potty-trained and I no longer want to deal with handling poop. Clean rags (cut from old t-shirts) are next to the toilet; dirty ones are either tossed right into the washing machine or the former diaper pail that we now use for wet clothes/ towels.
My 6-year-old son is gone from 8:30-3:45, and I feel the same way. We love vacations and weekends! We have let him stop doing homework; I figure since they have him for more waking hours than I do, we have other important things to do here. We also let him play while he's eating; he often eats breakfast while working on a project of some kind, and sometimes will finish dinner over a game of chess. Most of his friends are in outside activities, like sports, after...
Unless it's something your kid really wants to do, I don't really see the point in the activity. I think that if you feel the need to get him engaged, then it's the wrong thing for him. If you're concerned about a physical outlet, you could try something less structured, preferably with the whole family- because it's good for everyone.
Quote: Originally Posted by siobhang I pick and choose the rules we follow and the rules we don't. The "no swearing for young children" rule is one I see no benefit in breaking and a lot of benefit in following. I suppose this cost/ benefit analysis depends on your household culture and your kids' personalities. Banning swearing in our home would (a) require a good amount of effort on my part, to avoid hypocrisy; (b) would likely involve instant...