or Connect

Posts by srain

Quote: Originally Posted by velochic If she knows how to spell them, then I wouldn't do ANYTHING with them. Same here. Is your concern that she's bored with her homework or that she needs more of an intellectual challenge? If the former, then she should probably stop doing it; if the latter, you can give her different words.
Quote: Originally Posted by NYCVeg My beef (as it were) with the WAPF lies in my understanding that the science is very very shoddy. .... The "science" behind the diet is largely self-referential--that is, promoters of the diet cite to articles written by other people involved in the foundation to prove their points, not necessarily peer-reviewed studies. This. I remember reading Nourishing Traditions years ago and not finding a single citation...
Quote: Originally Posted by caricandothis she is in a booster seat now (high back) with just the seat belt positioner, i don't have a 5 pt harness seat for her (and really cannot afford one at this point as much as i'd love to). is she "safe"? We all make tradeoffs based on cost, convenience, and perception of risk. IMO, yes, she's safe enough- but she's not my kid. It could probably be argued that she'd be 10% safer in an expensive and...
Quote: Originally Posted by KristiMetz Well, I think EVERY parent chooses at some point what foods to stock in the house (at least until the child(ren) are old enough to participate in this aspect), so that is where discriminating based on cost comes in. I'd hate to have to go entirely without any fruit other than apples or bananas, or any fresh vegetables other than potatoes and onions, or any maple syrup or honey or almonds or cheese or eggs...
Other options- if you plan your meals in advance, you can pull out the beans from the freezer at the beginning of the week to defrost on time. OR you could invest in a pressure cooker to cook beans super-fast. OR you could use all the beans you cook at once in recipes, and freeze the entire meal that way. OR you could plan meals to use lots of the beans in the same week you cook them- chili one night, burritos another, pasta fagioli another, etc. Good luck finding...
My experience is that hard-boiled eggs just dry out, actually. My mom has some dyed hard-boiled eggs that she's saved for Easter from when I was a kid. I'm sure it depends on the exact conditions, but it's possible it can keep sitting there for a long time.
SIGGs have sprung leaks on me, even though they were never frozen or put in the dishwasher. We're currently using a Thermos Funtainer bottle, which is nice because we can get them locally.
While this won't solve many of your problems, one thing we do to minimize conflict is to never bring toys with us to public areas. It's a recipe for disaster with kids under 6. I agree with other posters that if a nanny is present, you should ask for them to intercede even if they're talking on their cell phone (during their paid work time). It reduces your own liability!
We tried it with my son, but he has blood sugar issues and completely breaks down if he doesn't eat enough protein. And unfortunately, he's rarely willing to eat any of the proteins we usually have available (we don't eat meat and eat very little dairy). So it was a disaster. Now, if the kids have eaten their protein, we give them almost free range, but we do limit quantities of specific foods just for economic reasons. (So they can eat a bunch of bananas, but not very...
We made our own, using almost entirely found materials- the only stuff we've ended up paying money for are fasteners and a used block-and-tackle. It's really not that much work, is better for the environment, and will save you a boatload of cash. You might want to consider it!