or Connect

Posts by kmp

Hi. I had to do some car seat safety training for my job. The safest place for you babe for as long as possible is rear facing. The key really is age over weight - the standard is 20 #s OR one year old. One year old is best cause it has to do with neck and spine development/strength. At this point if your babe was front facing and you were in a collision your son's neck and spine would not withstand the force of impact. The seat front facing would not absorb the...
Anyone else have any? I'm going to try Cathe's for sure cause I am not so worried about the expense, though that's definitely a factor, but the huge amounts of hydrogenated oils in crackers.
I had a good hospital birth and am glad for interventions like ultra sound, pictocin and fetal monitoring, cause without those I probably would not have birthed a live baby. Despite taking a full weekend (8hrs each day) of childbirth education and having a midwifery team of three and complaining about swelling etc my son was without any amniotic fluid at all - something that never came up in any of the endless discussions about things that can happen when you're...
I know tantrums can be annoying, but really, what's wrong with tantrums? It sounds like your expecting them so can you get yourself ok with them? It's just him asserting himself and letting you know what he wants. How about, "I know, sweetheart, you want to watch a video, but we already watched our one for today" or "remember, sweetheart, mom and dad talked to you about the videos going away?" I find with my son the more I remind him of things the better he is and...
I know my son can't wait to get on a train - we're hoping this weekend. He's just a couple of months past his second birthday. For his birthday this year we actually bought him a present - a hobby horse. It's great. It has a plush head and is white with brown spots and mane. The body, of course, is nothing but a broomstick. He loves it and rides it around the house. Everyone I talked to before buying it let me know they're kids were still into theirs at three,...
If there aren't any peanut allergies in your immediate family then there's no reason to believe your babe is at risk. Same goes for real nuts (peanuts not being a nut). Because of all the great protein and healthy fats in peantus and nuts I didn't hold back from them at all while pregnant or nursing. My fave is almonds - and now almonds are my son's fave. Good fat, great source of calcium.
I know what you're saying, Super Pickle. If ever I was to live in the country it would be while my son is wee. I'd move out byt the time he hit the tween years. My partner and I do have a plan to build our house out in the country once our son is grown. Until then the city is perfect for us.
I make a hummus with chickpeas, toasted walnuts and orange juice. I also make a sald dressing that my son loves dipping veggies in. It's 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp Udo's Choice, 1/2 tsp dijon mustard, 2 tsp balsamic vinegar and a minced green onion. Oh, and sesame seeds. He loves this one and has been having it since he started solids - back then the veggies were steamed but before long they were raw.
Couscous is a cross between a grain and a pasta. It is made from cooked and dried semolina. The tiny grains are cooked like rice, absorbing all the cooking liquid. The refined flour it's made from is not enriched with vitamins, so couscous is low in nutrients. In order to perk up it's nutritional value I've made it with carrot and beet juices before.
I ahven't done low carb/high protein, but I have done a lot of reading on it. I'll share what I know and if you're not looking for this info just toss what I write. I hope you don't mind my sharing this info - it's not done to make you defend your choices or judge them. high protein/low carb diets result in weight loss because they cut your caloric intake. When you replace carbs with protein your body doesn't just allow that substitution. Your body will only allow...